This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

When you roll out of bed for that eight AM class on Monday morning, the last thing that is probably on your mind is how to spice up your beauty routine. Personally, my beauty routine for school is usually the same old thing, that is, if I even decide to wear makeup that day. When I was younger, I used to always worry about what people thought of me, which further prevented me from stepping out of my comfort zone and making bold style choices. Now that I am a sophomore in college, I’ve decided to make a statement when it comes to how I present myself. I mean, after all, we only get one life, so why not wear all of your favorite colors and be the most vibrant one when you walk into a room? Stepping out of your comfort zone doesn’t mean changing who you are, but rather becoming comfortable with trying new things. Here are four ways to break out of your beauty comfort zone.

1. Colorful mascara

This is by far my favorite way to add a subtle pop of color to every single look.  If you see me, I most likely have blue mascara on because it’s just that awesome and easy. Blue mascara ranges in color from dark navy (for a more natural look) to electric blue for when you really want your eyes to pop. My go to brand is the L’Oréal Voluminous Original in the shade Cobalt Blue. You can find this at almost any beauty or drug store for under $10.

1. Glitter eyeshadow

This is less of an everyday look, but a great pick-me-up for those days when you just aren’t feeling like your best self. Swipe any shade of glitter across your lid for a nice added pop of sparkle that really spices up the everyday makeup routine. For a more subtle look, opt for a natural shade, such as gold or rose. On the weekends I like to get a little crazy with blues and purples for when I really want to draw attention to my eyes. I prefer liquid glitter shadows because they are more pigmented and stick to my eyelids. My favorite brand is the Stila Magnificent Metals Glitter & Glow in Gold Goddess.

1. Hair Clips

Find me any hour of any day with these clips in my hair. They are such an easy way to add color to your hair in the easiest way possible. Whether I actually need to clip my hair out of my face or just want that extra oomph, the possibilities of hair clips are endless. Usually, I part my hair down the middle and put two to three clips on each side to secure my bangs while simultaneously framing my face with color. I recently ordered a pack of 80 from Amazon so I have every color of the rainbow. 

1. Rainbow nails

Since I started college, my nails are usually bitten and bleeding due to my bad habit of biting my nails when I get stressed. However, when I get my nails done it definitely helps to break the habit. When I get acrylic nails, I feel absolutely unstoppable. Over the summer I got ombré blue nails that received a ton of compliments. I also love to get each nail a different color. If you prefer paint to acrylics, the rainbow nail look is super easy to recreate. On each finger try putting a different shade of your favorite color to achieve the ombré look.

Image Sources X X X X X

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com

Evelyn Foster

Mt Holyoke '22

Evelyn is a sophomore at Mount Holyoke College double majoring in environmental studies and art history. She loves listening to music, doing art work, hanging out with friends and eating good food.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.