This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Now, I’m not claiming to be an expert in classical music, but recently I’ve been listening to a ton of classical music. I have been putting it on while doing homework, reading, doing laundry, or even just walking around campus. I used to think all classical music was boring and put people to sleep, however, I just wasn’t listening to the right type of classical. Here are some tips to find your corner of the classical music genre!

Girl Holding Vinyl Record
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

Start With the Classics

When I mean the classics of classical music, I mean the people that first come to mind when you think of the genre: Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, etc. There are other greats, but as these are the most well-known composers, there will most likely be a few pieces of theirs that you’ve heard before. Spotify is a great place to start with this, they even have a Classical Essentials playlist! This playlist combines older pieces with more modern ones, including a few from movie soundtracks. 

Start With Your Favorite Instrument

I highly recommend doing this as everyone has a different favorite instrument and some may even hate the one you love most. I personally love string instruments, and find myself listening to violin or cello concertos a lot. A concerto, for those who don’t know, is written to highlight one specific instrument accompanied by an orchestra. This is the perfect way to find pieces that pique your interest!

Street Performers In The Park B&W 4
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

Start With What You Know

This may seem like a given, but most people don’t know where to start with classical music and starting with something familiar is the best way to go. Usually this’ll be one of the more famous composers, but this could be something like a movie’s score. Even if your familiarity with classical music is little-to-none, you probably know more than you think. Fur Elise, The Nutcracker Suite, Swan Lake Waltz, Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, and The Four Seasons (just to name a few) are some of the most known pieces of classical music that one might know. From there you can look at YouTube comments or Spotify recommendations on where to go next. There is an infinite number of options on where to go from here, as this is just the jumping point.

I hope you feel less intimidated to dive right into classical music, as there are a multitude of amazing pieces to be listened to!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.    

Michaela Phelan

Mt Holyoke '22

I am an International Relations major who just really likes to read, listen to music, and watch tv.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.