The Sisterhood of the Traveling Purse, Part 5

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

My Outfit of the Day  

So, today was my turn with the bag. To be completely honest, I was not quite sure what to do with it. I rarely spend time thinking about how my bag will match my outfit. I like to look nice and clean, but keeping up with the latest looks has rarely been my forte. However, I do try to buy and wear clothes I love and feel comfortable in. So, here is my outfit with the bag. It’s one I might wear if I was at home in my glorious 72℉ weather, while watching a movie with my family, or wandering around and smelling the books at Barnes and Noble. 

To start off with, I’m not sure if I can even tell you where this shirt comes from. It was my mom’s, and I stole it from her closet when she said she didn’t wear it anymore. This sleeveless, blue and white pinstriped, button down shirt, with an embroidery of Tigger on the front pocket is one of my favorite tops. Not just because I think it’s cute, but because it reminds me of my mom, and of Winnie the Pooh. When I wear it, I feel like I get to look grown up, and be a kid at the same time. It’s only downside, the front placket (the material that holds the buttons) never irons flat. Underneath my shirt I also wore a white BP camisole (No, not the oil company!). It’s great becuase it’s soft and has lasted for years.

Next, my awesome pink pants! They make me happy and they make me smile. What more could I want from pants? I acquired them this summer at Nordstrom Rack. They are a NYDJ skinny. It was ironic when I got them because NYDJ stands for Not Your Daughter’s Jeans, but when my mom was buying them for me, they were her daughter’s jeans. Even though I usually never wear skinny jeans or colored pants, these are soft, comfortable, and bring a little fun to my day!

I’ve never actually thought about the design or maker of my black flats before. Turns out they are Calvin Klein Women’s Maida Flats.  I’ve had them for almost 5 years now, and they are (kind of) going strong. I bought them originally for choral attire in high school. However, I’ve worn them on so many occasions. If I just need to put something on my feet before I leave my house, these are usually a good bet. I tried to find a picture of them, but I don’t think Calvin Klein sells them anymore.

The final piece of my outfit is, of course, the bag (which I’m sure you’ve heard plenty about by now)! If it were mine, I would fill it with: Ursula K. Le Guin’s The Left Hand of Darkness, my phone (which really isn’t my phone, but merely a vessel for my music), my journal, an apple, chocolate, keys, wallet, and maybe one of my stuffed animals.

You can look on this page tomorrow to find out who has the bag next and check our Facebook tomorrow to see how you can win this amazing bag!

Alicia Crew

Mt Holyoke

Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.