Signs You’re Ready for the Moho Chop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

What is the Moho Chop? According to Autostraddle, it’s “a haircut or style that indicates its owner leads a life contrary to that of the conservative or heterosexual world. Like a bat mitzvah, but on your head. Examples include: the mohawk, the fauxhawk, the mullet, the sidesweep, and the Tegan and Sara.” The Moho Chop really refers to any major haircut that Mohos get for whatever reason. It can range from cutting off 10 inches of your super long hair, to getting a pixie cut. This has happened so commonly among Mount Holyoke students that is has been coined the Moho Chop.

Here are 10 signs that you’re ready for the infamous Moho Chop:

*N.B. people who are pictured not necessarily associated with enumerated points.

1. You’re about to graduate.

What better way to commemorate your time at Mount Holyoke by getting a Moho Chop? You’re only here for four years. It’s now or never. Your next perfect window of opportunity may not be until you become a divorced mom. Exhibit A.

2. You’re constantly thinking about it.

You’re always asking your friends, “Should I cut my hair?” or imagining what you’d look like with shorter hair. And if you’ve recently downloaded a beauty app that super-imposes different hairstyles on your photo, that’s probably a sign you should stop contemplating and just do it!

Kaila Cantens ‘17

3. Every day is hat-day.

You’ve settled for hiding your hair under a hat because whenever you look in the mirror, all you see is your hair looking more plain and boring than you remember. Find yourself wearing hats all the time? Maybe it’s time for a change.

Isa Zuluaga ‘19

4. You’ve had the same haircut since you were 5 years old.

Your consistent haircut gives you a sense of security, but maybe you’ve become a little too comfortable with it. You’re in a new stage of your young-adult life, and getting a Moho chop could be liberating.

Loriya Thao ‘18

5. You’re out of shampoo.

Running low on shampoo? Cutting your hair is the perfect way to save money! Less hair = less shampoo.

Caroline Shelton ‘17

6. You never know what to do with your hair anymore.

Every time you get ready for a party, you never know whether to curl it, put it in a ponytail, braid it, or leave it. If it takes you forever to decide, maybe it’s time to for an entirely new look!

Kirby Basile ‘17

7. You want a fresh start.

This year and semester is coming to a close. You’ve been through ups and downs, and sometimes all we need is a clean slate. Why not say goodbye to both 2016 and your hair? A Moho Chop might be exactly what you need.

Cami Mirow ‘19

8. You can’t help being envious of other Mohos’ haircuts.

You’re in class and you can’t focus on anything because you’re too busy staring at the back of someone’s head and their awesome haircut. Soon the tables will turn.

Hayley Culver ‘15

9. You’ve pitched the idea to your boyfriend/parents/etc and they don’t like the idea.

If you are dying to get a Moho Chop but someone in your life isn’t a fan of the idea of change, now would be a great time to make a statement! Show them that hair doesn’t define you. And it grows back! If there’s ever anything standing in the way of your happiness or you being you, take action. Anyway, it’s not their hair, it’s yours.

Ranjini Das ‘18

10. You’re reading this article.

Changing your hair can be a big deal, so you’ve been reading magazine articles or you’ve been on Instagram looking through the shorthairdontcare hashtag trying to convince yourself you can pull it off. If you’re looking for a sign or for someone to give you the go ahead, here it is: DO IT! Never fear / change

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Kalea Martin

Mt Holyoke '19

Buongiorno! I'm Kalea. I love dogs, ice hockey, and breakfast. My skills include giving hugs and singing Les Mis in the shower.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.