This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

I was recently inspired to look up shows in Spanish as I will be taking my first ever Spanish class this fall. Language learning can be a bit tricky, but here are some shows that should help make learning Spanish more fun. Being in a pandemic means you can’t meet your friends for study groups (Zoom study groups are just not the same), so here’s hoping these shows motivate you to learn your verbs! 

computer with tea and two notebooks
Photo by Gabrielle Henderson from Unsplash

High Seas (Alta Mar) 

This show follows two sisters, Eva and Carolina, as they embark on a voyage on the Bárbara de Braganza (an ocean liner) from Spain to Brazil in the late 1940s. Still healing from the shock of their father’s death a year ago, the sisters hope to create a new life for themselves in Brazil. But what they imagined would be a pleasant journey soon turns into a nightmare and the sisters set out to investigate the cause of these mysteries. This show has three seasons and is perfect for people who like to travel and enjoy mysteries while also portraying the bond between sisters. 

Elite

Much like the name suggests, this show follows students at an ‘elite’ private school in Spain as they deal with the aftermath of the murder of their friend and popular student, Marina. Maybe the three new students have something to do with it? Watch this show to find out more. The show follows the lives of multiple students as they navigate through their lives discovering their sexualities, faith, relationships and, of course, navigating the challenges of high school, all with a possible murderer in their midst. Interesting questions about the relationship between social class and merit are raised and dark secrets are revealed. 

Money Heist (La Casa de Papel)

This one is a personal favorite and follows eight criminals as they help “The Professor” — the mastermind behind this plan — pull off the biggest heist in history by robbing the Royal Mint of Spain. These eight recruits are ambitious, skilled and have nothing to lose. Follow them as they create deep bonds with each other, start a revolution and are overall badass. In my opinion, this show is best watched without too much prior information, so just hit play and get ready to fall in love with your next favourite show. 

Cable Girls (Las Chicas del Cable)

This show from Spain follows four young women in Madrid in the 1920s. They all get jobs at Spain’s first national telephone company as cable operators. But this is more than just work for them. Follow them as they rediscover old flames, start movements, and live their lives at the center of progress being made as women fight to gain more equality than ever before. 

House of Flowers (La Casa de las Flores)

This Mexican comedy-drama series follows the lives of the members of the de la Mora family who run a successful flower business.  But when a suicide breaks the facade of their seemingly perfect family, they are forced to face truths they have been avoiding and reimagine their relationships with one another.  Can they rebuild their family again while they discover who they are? Watch this show to find out.

Control Z

When a hacker begins releasing the secrets of students at a high school, socially isolated Sofia works to uncover the hackers identity before they release hers. Or will she be too late in stopping the hacker before her past secrets return to haunt her? New student Javier teams up to help Sofia, but can she trust him? Can she trust anyone? This one is for fans of Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars and Riverdale.

All these shows are entertaining and are sure to help you learn some basic spanish words along the way and they are a great way to help keep language learning engaging and fun.

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.    

Imaane Patel

Mt Holyoke '24

Hi! I'm Imaane, a freshman at Mount Holyoke College. I enjoy photography, listening to music and binge watching tv shows amongst other things.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.