This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Name: Rehmiyan Khan

Pronouns: she/her

Class Year: 2020

Major: Economics

Hometown: Karachi, Pakistan

What are your hobbies?

I love to play volleyball and basketball!

How are you handling the suddenly cold weather?

I am currently hibernating.

What is your favorite Mount Holyoke memory?

Attending convocation is always fun and a favorite!

How have you changed since coming to Mount Holyoke?

I feel that I have become more mature and ready for the world!

If you could travel anywhere in the world right now, where would you go and why?

I would go to the Maldives; it’s warm and peaceful

What was the last show you binged on Netflix/Hulu/Cable?

Narcos!

Which classes did you choose for next semester?

Economic Development, Economics of Corporate Finance, Social Network Analysis, and Cults, Conspiracies and Moral Panic.

Which class are you most excited to take next semester, and why?

I am super excited to take Cults, Conspiracies, and Moral Panic! It’s taught by Professor Michaud Wild and the course description sounds intense and interesting: “Using case studies such as the Eugenics Movement, Jonestown, and the Kennedy Assassination, this course will examine how distrust of the government, originally motivated by logical concerns, has transformed the way people think about power in the postmodern era. The class will explore the difference between rational questioning of authority and blind distrust that leads to questionable claims. Through topics such as the War on Drugs, this class shows how the powerful are able to use biases and public fears to carry out their own, often counterproductive, measures. These case studies have issues like race and class at their core. We will examine how certain social issues have managed to endure.”

Images: 2, 3

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Sarah Washington is a sophomore at Mount Holyoke College. She is from Wilbraham, Massachusetts. She is a prospective Sociology Major. Sarah's passions include social justice, increased visibility for multiracial individuals, feminism, and LGBT rights. Her other loves include makeup, writing, reading, and music.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.