Reflection on My First Year

My first year at Mount Holyoke is just about over. I never believed people when they told me that college goes by really fast, but after just one year, I realize how right they were. The last two semesters went by in the blink of an eye. I want to reflect on my first year of college so I can appreciate my time here more.

My sister and I on the first day

When I first started in the fall, I was anxious for the future and everything that was expected to come with it. Since I hadn’t been to school for a year, I was very nervous about adjusting back into academic life. I didn’t have confidence in myself that I would be able to handle it all. I knew that college was going to be much more difficult than high school with challenging assignments, more responsibilities and greater expectations. But, even though I struggled a little, I did way better than I was expecting and I am proud of myself.

A Mount Holyoke sunset the day I went home for Thanksgiving

In terms of social life, I always imagined coming to college and immediately having a great group of friends. Due to my social anxiety and introverted nature, I didn’t make as many friends as I would’ve liked this year. However, I am keeping a positive attitude because I know that I have plenty of time to make more friends.

View from one of my favorite spots in the library

I have made so many amazing memories in my first year of school. I have done things I have never thought I would do. I’ve gone out of my comfort zone and I am so grateful for the opportunities to be able to do so. I have laughed so hard that I cried. I’ve danced all night in my pajamas with my friends. I’ve hiked up a mountain at sunrise. I’ve listened to countless interesting lectures. Despite a handful of bad memories, I am very happy with how my first year has gone. I am super excited for the next three years!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email [email protected].