Reflecting on My First Semester at Mount Holyoke

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Earlier this semester I wrote a reflection on my first month at Mount Holyoke. Now that finals are just around the corner, it’s hard to believe that I’ve spent almost a whole semester here. These past three months have had their ups and downs, but overall, things are ending on a positive note. 

Over the course of the semester, I’ve learned so much about myself. During the first week, I was convinced that I would never be able to handle the workload here and I felt like it was a never-ending cycle of trying to get ahead in my classes to avoid falling behind. Now, I can happily say that I could handle the workload and I’ve figured out ways to procrastinate less often and work more effectively. Of course, I’m not perfect and there are many ways in which I could be managing my workload better, but I’m confident that my biggest success this semester has been figuring out how I work best and using that to my advantage.

I’ve also learned that, while I am definitely someone who enjoys being around friends and socializing, I have really come to cherish moments to myself to find some peace in the midst of fast-paced college life. 

On the other hand though, I still feel like I have yet to find my place here in the Mount Holyoke community. I have met some amazing people in the few months I’ve been here. I have friends who I can rely on and feel comfortable around. I have become friends with some of the kindest, most genuine people I’ve ever known and I am so grateful for that. There have been challenges over the course of the semester, some big and some small, but I know now that I have begun to build up a network of supportive people who are there for me and for each other. 

On a lighter note, since the snowstorm we had just after Thanksgiving, I’ve realized that living far from the dining hall is definitely not a plus. There’s nothing like facing a ten-minute walk in the cold and the snow to make you seriously consider whether a real meal is worth it or if microwave mac and cheese will suffice. 

Even though it’s been three months, the adjustment to the college process is not over for me. However, I am beginning to feel more at home here than I have before and I am excited to go into the next semester, continue to find my place, and to grow my community here at Mount Holyoke.

Image Sources X, X, X

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com

Ansley Keane

Mt Holyoke '23

I'm a first-year student at Mount Holyoke College and I am interested in majoring in English, history, or economics. I love writing, reading, exploring cool towns and cities, and listening to almost anything by Taylor Swift.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.