Quotes to Inspire Your Activism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Mount Holyoke students are well-known for their activism and engagement in social justice issues. However, activism can be emotionally and psychologically draining. Sometimes, it can seem like no matter how hard we push for equality and acceptance for all, little progress is made. Even though it may seem like nothing changes, activists must never give up on spreading the message of equality and must never stop arguing against bigoted ideologies. The following quotes will help inspire your activism even during trying times.

“When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.” – Audre Lorde

“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel

“A change is brought about because ordinary people do extraordinary things.” – Barack Obama

“Today, our very survival depends on our ability to stay awake, to adjust to new ideas, to remain vigilant and to face the challenge of change.” – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

“I think the importance of doing activist work is precisely because it allows you to give back and to consider yourself not as a single individual who may have achieved whatever but to be a part of an ongoing historical movement.” – Angela Davis

“One child, one teacher, one book, and one pen, can change the world.” – Malala Yousafzai

“What counts in life is not the mere fact that we lived. It is the difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.” – Nelson Mandela

“Don’t let complexity stop you. Be activists. Take on the big inequities. It will be one of the great experiences of your lives.” – Bill Gates

“When you can’t find someone to follow, you have to find a way to lead by example.” – Roxane Gay

“Most activism is brought about by us ordinary people.” – Patricia Hill Collins

“The future depends entirely on what each of us does every day; a movement is only people moving.” – Gloria Steinem

“If you don’t stand for something you will fall for anything.” – Malcolm X

Hopefully these quotes will inspire your own activism and encourage you to continue working towards a better, more equal society. Though activist work may seem unending, it is truly worth the effort. It is only through that effort that change can be achieved.

Images: Thumbnail, 1, 2, 3

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Sarah Washington is a sophomore at Mount Holyoke College. She is from Wilbraham, Massachusetts. She is a prospective Sociology Major. Sarah's passions include social justice, increased visibility for multiracial individuals, feminism, and LGBT rights. Her other loves include makeup, writing, reading, and music.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.