This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Even though we have returned from winter break, it is still winter. Though it hasn’t been terribly cold during the first few weeks back, the weather hasn’t been the best. Between gray skies, low temperatures, and the occasional bit of snow, it can sometimes feel like this winter has been endless. But there is a certain beauty to winter, too. Here are some quotes that will help get you through the remaining winter months by showing you the more positive side of winter.

“Even in winter, an isolated patch of snow has a special quality.” –Andy Goldsworthy

“To appreciate the beauty of a snowflake it is necessary to stand out in the cold.” –Aristotle

“Winter is a season of recovery and preparation.” –Paul Theroux

“Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is time for home.” –Edith Sitwell

“Let us love winter, for it is the spring of genius.” –Pietro Aretino

“In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.” –Albert Camus

“In winter, I plot and plan. In summer, I move.” –Henry Rollins

“When snow falls, nature listens.” –Antoinette van Kleef

“He who marvels at the beauty of the world in summer will find equal cause for wonder and admiration in winter.” –John Burroughs

“What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.” –John Steinbeck

“Kindness is like snow—It beautifies everything it covers.” –Kahlil Gibran

“Winter is on my head, but eternal spring is in my heart.” –Victor Hugo

“The color of springtime is flowers; the color of winter is in our imagination.” –Terri Guillements

“There’s just something beautiful about walking in snow that nobody else has walked on. It makes you believe you’re special.” –Carol Rifka Brunt

“The first snow is like the first love. Do you remember your first snow?” –Lara Biyuts

“In winter we behold the charms of solemn majesty and naked grandeur.” –James Ellis

Hopefully these quotes have given you a new perspective on winter to make the next few chilly weeks a bit more bearable. Though winter can certainly go hand in hand with the “winter blues,” it does have its beautiful aspect. And, like all things, winter won’t last forever.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Sarah Washington is a sophomore at Mount Holyoke College. She is from Wilbraham, Massachusetts. She is a prospective Sociology Major. Sarah's passions include social justice, increased visibility for multiracial individuals, feminism, and LGBT rights. Her other loves include makeup, writing, reading, and music.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.