This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Every dorm deserves some green. After living on campus for over a month I have come to appreciate the hominess a plant can provide to your room, especially during some of the deary  months while anticipating spring to come at some point. 

Potted plants in room
Photo by Huy Phan from Unsplash

Plants are a good decor item; however, they are more than just for interior use. Plants are known to increase productivity, lift your mood, and even purify the air. Although, not all houseplants are suited for dorm rooms. Busy college life means that students need plants that are low-maintenance. You don’t want plants dying on you because you don’t have the time to take care of them! 

Row of potted plants
Photo by Vadim Kaipov from Unsplash

That being said, here are some easy-to-care-for houseplants perfect for your dorm room:

• Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena Sanderiana) 

• Lucky Bamboo is nearly indestructible. It can either be grown in water with decorative rocks or in soil. Place your lucky bamboo in a location that receives bright to low light, and change the water every couple of weeks to prevent algae growth.

zz plant
Photo by Pino Nguyen from Unsplash

• Hoya 

• ​Hoya is a large genus of about 200-300 species that are characterized by their waxy leaves and stunning, aromatic flowers. While they require a fair amount of light in order to thrive, hoyas are hardy plants that can withstand a little neglect. Most species of hoya are known for being drought-tolerant.

fiddle leaf fig plant
Photo by Mike Marquez from Unsplash

• Succulents 

• If you are looking for a small, attractive plant that you can set and forget, succulents are the perfect choice for you. In order to grow healthy succulents, you will need a window that receives full sun, or you can set up a small grow light. Succulents do not require very much water so they can survive an exam season without being watered. Plus, there are hundreds of different succulents to choose from!

Succulents assorted in pots
Photo by Angele Kamp from Unsplash

• Snake Plants (Sansevieria) 

• Low light, low water—snake plants are the ultimate low-maintenance plant. While they are slow-growing, they are also pretty hard to kill and will be perfectly happy in that dark corner of your dorm room where nothing quite seems to ‘go.’ Snake plants come in a variety of different shapes and sizes, so you can find a variety that matches your personal style and preferences!

snake plant
Photo by Jake Goossen from Unsplash

• Pothos 

• Pothos are some of the most popular houseplants and for good reason. These attractive trailing plants are extremely low-maintenance and resilient, and they come in lots of different colors. They thrive in a variety of different light conditions, from low-light to full sun, and they are highly drought-tolerant. While pothos technically can flower, it is difficult to get them to flower indoors, so they are primarily enjoyed for their foliage. Choose a hanging planter or place your pothos on a shelf to show off its attractive hanging vines.

Devil's Ivy growing out of pot
Photo by Zinah Insignia from Unsplash

I hope these suggestions will help integrate plants into your own personal garden within your dorm room. Happy plant shopping! 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.  

Amanda Thibodeau

Mt Holyoke '24

Intending to major in History and Education Just a girl who loves to listen to music and watch films
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.