This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Do you like social justice activism and art? Are you looking for new artists to discover? Want to fight the power? Look no further, because there is a project that has culminated all of those aspects together. For only $30, you will be able to download a new song by an new artist every day for the first 100 days of Trump’s presidency. This is social justice as an art. Instead of dreading each day with a new executive order, now you have something to look forward to, even if it is something as small as a new song by a new artist.

Our First 100 Days was a domino effect of Secretly Group’s 30 Songs, 30 Days, which did the same thing, releasing a song each day, 30 days leading up to Trump’s Presidency. 30 Days 30 Songs included songs like “Million Dollar Loan” by Death Cab for Cutie, “With Love from Russia” by Bhi Bhiman, “World Leader Pretend” by R.E.M, “Mr. Tangerine Man” by Wesley Stace, “This is Not America” by David Bowie, “Mississippi Goddam” by Nina Simone, and many more. While not each of these songs was released originally at the day they came out on the 30 Days 30 Songs project; Our First 100 Days actually releases a brand new song by each artist on the day it is released. Our First 100 Days’ slogan is “One hundred songs that inspire progress and benefit a cause for change”, including songs by artists such as Mitski, Angel Olsen, PWR BTTM, Cross Record, Joan of Arc, and many more.

The best part of Our First 100 Days, is that 100% of the proceeds go to causes that are under threat by the Trump administration. Some organizations Our First 100 Days supports are The People’s Climate Movement, All Above All (reproductive rights), Cosecha (immigration), Southerners on New Ground (LGBTQ), Hoosier Action (communities), and Revolutions Per Minute (music).

It’s pretty simple: if you don’t like the path our country is taking, and you like listening to and supporting artists, you have got to use your month’s allowance on Our First 100 Days. Not only do you get a great deal of music for your money, but you also actively support the revolution against the Trump administration. Now go, appreciate the art these artists came together to construct for you and for their country.

If you’d like to buy Our First 100 Days, please follow the link to Bandcamp.

If you’d like to learn more about the project, you can check out their description here.

If you’d like to listen to 30 Songs, 30 Days (now 1,000 Songs, 1,000 Days), please follow the link here to their website where you can stream on Spotify and other media platforms.  

Photo credits:

x x x x x x

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

My name is Victoria and I am a singer/songwriter and physics enthusiast from Pleasantville, NY. I am a first year currently studying Music and Physics at Mount Holyoke College. I run for the Cross Country and Track team, and I am a big proponent of Halloween, Harry Potter, music, tea, and art.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.