This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Did you watch this year’s Oscars? Or were you like me and cooped up in the library preparing for your midterms? Well, whatever the case, I’m here to get you caught up on all of the juicy highlights because let me tell you, there were plenty! From elaborately dressed celebrities to stellar performances from your favorite musicians, this specific year definitely topped all the rest!

1. Joe Biden, yes, you heard me, JOE BIDEN!

Vice President Joe Biden took the stage this year to introduce Lady Gaga on her stunning performance of “Til It Happens to You.” As a longtime advocate against sexual assault and domestic violence, Biden asked that viewers at home visit www.ItsOnUs.org to take the pledge to stand up, speak out, and help change the culture around sexual assault. Now, I don’t know about you, but I’d say this is some powerful advertising! If only we could have Biden come down to Mount Holyoke and be the school’s personal advocate.

2. Gaga slays “Til It Happens to You”

Speaking of Gaga, wearing a stunning white pantsuit and sitting at a gleaming grand piano, Gaga poured herself into her crushing performance of “Til It Happens to You” representing a voice for victims of sexual assault. Gaga sings the lyrics with pride and strength for she too was raped at the age of 19. She originally created “Til it Happens to You” for a documentary about the recent wave of sexual assaults on American college and university campuses. 1 in every 5 female college students will be raped before they graduate. Since the release of the documentary Gaga has been spreading the message nationwide with the support of high figures such as Joe Biden and other celebrities to stop sexual assault. Towards the end of the performance dozens of young men and women stepped forward, all of them survivors of sexual assault, joining hands and raising them in solidarity. In doing so they revealed words and phrases across their forearms such as “Survivor” and “Not Your Fault.” Gaga received a deserving standing ovation at the very end bringing nearly every audience member to tears. You go Gaga!

3. Our Favorite Mean Girl Stuns the Red Carpet

Regina George stole our hearts with her sassy attitude and obsession for all things pink! However, Rachel Mcadams (Regina George all grown up) caught the eyes of everyone at the Oscars with her stunning August Getty Atelier gown detailed with a major train and open back. Piaget drop earrings gracefully complemented her Salvatore Ferragamo clutch, and her Stuart Weitzman heels literally kicked ass! Rachel wasn’t the only one who stole that night though. Oscar Award Winning Actress Brie Larson also stunned the crowd with her jaw dropping crystal-and-pearl embellished belt accompanying her custom Gucci dress. To top it off Larson paired the outfit with an intense red lip and jewels trickling throughout her blonde flowy locks. Now all I need is my own personal designer along with a team of makeup artists and hairdressers to be good enough to walk amongst the stars! Eh, who am I kidding, I’ll just leave it to them to slay the red carpet. I’m pretty content in my Mount Holyoke crewneck and yoga pants:) But I can dream, right?

4. ATTENTION ATTENTION! DiCaprio Has Just Won an Oscar!

It may have been 25 years in the making, but Leonardo DiCaprio has FINALLY won an Oscar. That took way too long! However, I have my conspiracy theories that really everyone in the Academy was just insanely jealous of DiCaprio and have been keeping the award from him due to personal reasons. But that’s all in the past because DiCaprio has finally won his well deserved title of “Best Actor” for his stunning performance as Hugh Glass in “The Revenant.” After being nominated a total of five times for the award he finally was able to win. Not only did he win, he also mentioned in his acceptance speech the pressing issues of climate change. He spoke about capitalism and societies neoliberalistic views on profit and how these negative mindsets will eventually lead to the wipe out of future generations if not treated immediately. He capped off his compelling argument by saying “Let us not take this planet for granted. I do not take tonight for granted.” I don’t know how he does it, but Leo just stole my heart all over again!

So what did you think about this year Oscars? Do you agree or disagree with the highlights? Share you comments on our instagram, twitter, pinterest, or facebook at: hcmtholyoke

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Just your average teenage girl living life in College, but with the occasional and very honest stories about the harsh and surprising realities of school. To sum me up in one sentence I would have to say I'm initially shy and introverted but once you get to know me I can really open up and make you laugh! I love veggies, animals, theatre, dance, lifting, running, and Selena Gomez's new album, she's bae. I also love snapchat and instagram so you should follow me @camik14
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.