This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Without classes to make my schedule so hectic, I was able to make time to see some new releases over winter break. These are all of the new releases I was able to watch over break!

Parasite

This film is amazing. I don’t want to say too much about the plot, because I don’t want to give anything away. I will say it’s a social commentary about the rich and poor and the lengths people go to in order to gain more social standing or to maintain it. Written and directed by Bong Joon-ho, a South Korean director known for previous films such as Snowpiercer and Okja, this film creates an uneasy tension by making the viewer remain unsure of who to root for. This film has gotten a lot of attention in the film industry and has very high ratings on both Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic. Parasite won best international film at the Golden Globes and was nominated for a total of five Oscars. I highly recommend this film.

Togo

This Disney+ original was one that I saw on a whim. I just clicked on it without knowing much about it, but I am so happy that I decided to watch it. It’s the real story of Balto and the historic dog sled run that brought medicine to an Alaskan town during a winter storm. This film is very good in the way it weaves the relationship of owner and dog. It made my mom cry, not because it was sad (although it does have some sad parts in it) but because the relationship between the owner and the dog is so touching. I recommend this movie to those who like dogs and those who prefer other animals, so basically everyone. 

Knives Out

I had been wanting to see this for a while now. Ever since I saw the trailer, I knew I wanted to watch this movie, and I was not disappointed. I loved every minute of it. This movie kept me guessing and was unabashedly funny. I loved the acting in this movie and thought that all the characters were cast well. There are specific scenes that still make me laugh just thinking about them. I just have to say that Daniel Craig with that southern accent was very fun to watch, especially after seeing him play Bond for so long. I feel that this movie has something for everyone to enjoy. 

The Irishman

Okay, let me just start off by saying that while this is a time commitment at three hours and 30 minutes, it is worth it in the end and wholly satisfying. It tells the story of an eventual hitman for a Pennsylvania crime family and the interweaving paths and motives of everyone in his life. It’s a story of friendship, betrayal, loyalty, and survival. Some reviews that I’ve seen online say that this film should’ve been half the time it is, however, I do feel that the length of the film is just right because there is so much background and the story gradually builds over the film and therefore, in my opinion, didn’t have any pacing problems.

Marriage Story 

Most people tend to either love or hate this film. I know some loved the fact that it focuses on two people getting a divorce and the whole story really resonated with them. For others, this was just too slow and it didn’t grab their attention in any way. I stand somewhere in the middle, yet I’m not indifferent towards this film, as I still liked it. The acting was great in this film, and so was the screenplay/script. I can understand why it has received so many accolades and awards recently. This film does move a bit slowly but I found myself so invested in the characters that I didn’t mind the slow pace.

Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker

Let me just start off by saying that I did not have very high expectations going into this movie after The Last Jedi, and I am so glad for that. Overall I think this is a good Star Wars movie for the casual fan, but for those hardcore fans out there it did fall a little flat. There were some scenes that I felt were rushed, or that they were just trying to quickly make up random explanations because there wasn’t enough time to fit in background or a longer explanation. Some waspects made me angry, others made me happy, and I even almost shed a tear, but overall this is not the best movie in the trilogy. 

Little Women

This film is so good and everything that I hoped for it to be. I grew up watching the 1994 film with Winona Ryder, and wasn’t sure anything could beat the version from my childhood, yet this manages to beat it. The acting was great. The directing was great. The storytelling is great. The way that the past and the present intertwine with one another, and the way that the present actions influence which flashback we see was done so beautifully. I cannot praise this film enough. And as the youngest of four sisters, I am very glad that Amy got so much more screen time and that we were actually able to see her relationship with Laurie as well as get to know her whole character more. 

I recommend checking all of these films out if you are able to. I know that I watch a lot of films, but I even surprised myself with how many new releases I watched this past break. However, there is always more to watch and discover!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.    

Michaela Phelan

Mt Holyoke '22

I am an International Relations major who just really likes to read, listen to music, and watch tv.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.