This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Anyone who knows me knows that I love food more than anything. From Mount Holyoke’s famous M&Cs to trying every restaurant in the Five-College area, food is usually the number one thing on my mind at any given time. Perhaps the most important (best, most delicious, etc.) food I’ve had is Haitian food. Because my parents are originally from Haiti, I grew up eating mostly Haitian food, and when you’re in the middle of nowhere (South Hadley) without access to such deliciousness as diri sos pwa and mais moulin, you start to value what you were blessed with more and more. I am by no means an expert on all Haitian food, but I do know what I like, so here are my picks for top five Haitian meals.

1. Haitian Patties

Photo courtesy of Just A Pinch Food Group

I think about Haitian patties probably 6 times a day. This street food is made out of puff pastries filled with whatever meat you would like (beef, chicken, codfish, or herring). Patties were originally imported from Europe to the Caribbean by colonizers, and have become distinctive in Caribbean countries where patties can be found. Once you’ve eaten Haitian patties, do yourself a favor and try patties from other Caribbean countries, such as Jamaica and Cuba to see how they’re done differently.

2. Soup Joumou

Photo courtesy of Okvaca

When I was little, my grandmother would make soup joumou whenever I visited because she knew how much I loved it, but this dish is traditionally eaten on New Year’s Day to celebrate Haitian independence from France. “It is said that the soup was once a delicacy reserved for white masters but forbidden to the slaves who cooked it. After Independence, Haitians took to eating it to celebrate the world’s first and only successful slave revolution resulting in an independent nation.” (Saveur Magazine). Soup joumou is made of pumpkin or squash and a whole bunch of vegetables, so not only is it delicious, but it won’t interfere with your New Year’s resolutions to eat healthier (unless you eat the whole pot).

3. Kremas

Photo courtesy of The Caribbean Current

Okay, so this isn’t technically a food, but it’s delicious so it counts. Kremas are an alcoholic drink made with milk, sweetened condensed milk, loads of spices (like cinnamon, nutmeg, and anise), as well as Haitian rum. It’s typically consumed around the holidays and at special events, but be careful – tasty, boozy things are often the most dangerous.

4. Labouyi Bannan

Photo courtesy of Haitian Cooking

I love breakfast foods and I love plantains, so this porridge made from green plantains is exactly what I’m into. Typically this is eaten at breakfast and is made with plantains, evaporated milk, sugar, and cinnamon. “Porridges have long been an integral part of Caribbean cuisine. Porridge is meant to fortify and strengthen for long periods of time” (L’Union Suite), so this is a bonus meal as it’s delicious and nutritious so there’s no guilt in eating it.

These are only four of the foods I find myself dreaming about when the dining hall food looks sad, but there are so many more Haitian dishes that celebrate our strength and resilience and are just amazing. Which ones are your favorites? Let me know in the comments!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Cover photo

Lyssi Joseph

Mt Holyoke '18

Lyssi Joseph is a Mount Holyoke graduate who majored in International Relations and minored in Geography. She loved the three years that she served as co-Campus Correspondent for HC Mount Holyoke and is grateful to her co-CC, Deborah, and the amazing members of the team for making these past three years so wonderful. She is excited to follow along and see how HC Mount Holyoke continues to grow and excel. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, and napping.