oscar 3679610 1920?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
oscar 3679610 1920?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Let me just start off by saying that I know that there is a lot wrong with the Oscars and it has a long way to go in terms of diversifying its nominees. However, it is still one of the biggest nights of film in America. With the 92nd Academy Awards right around the corner, it’s hard not to be a little excited about them. I love movies and there were a ton of amazing films that came out in the last year. Every year, I try to predict the winners and sometimes will compete against my dad to see who can get the most right. Hopefully I’ll win this year!

Here are my predictions for the top four categories this Oscar season, along with my own opinion in each category. Disclaimer: although I have seen quite a few of them, I have not seen every movie nominated for an award. 

Felicity Warner / HCM

Best Actor in a Lead Role

Who I think will win: Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)

Who I want to win: Antonio Banderas (Pain and Glory)

Best Actress in a Lead Role

Who I think will win: Renée Zellweger (Judy)

Who I want to win: Saoirse Ronan (Little Women)

Best Director

Who I think will win: Sam Mendes (1917)

Who I want to win: Bong Joon Ho (Parasite)

Felicity Warner / HCM

Best Picture

Who I think will win: Don’t come at me, but I’m leaving this one blank because it can really go in any direction. All the films nominated for best picture have thrived, but for very different reasons, and it all comes down to what the Academy was looking for this particular year. Yes, 1917 is the current frontrunner, but I still feel like it’s up in the air. I know that this is a cop-out answer, but I really don’t have any clue as to which film will win. 

Who I want to win: Parasite

I hope you enjoy your Oscar Sunday!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.holyoke@hercampus.com.    

Michaela Phelan

Mt Holyoke '22

I am an International Relations major who just really likes to read, listen to music, and watch tv.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.