This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

From long bus rides to doing homework, I can’t imagine my daily routine without music. It keeps me engaged even during the mundane moments. I may live in the most centrally-located dorm on campus, but that doesn’t stop me from squeezing in a song on my 3 minute walk to the dining hall each morning. My Spotify app stays open from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed, so I’m constantly looking for new music. The following are my two current favorite artists and some of the songs I have on repeat this month.  

Throughout February, I’ve been really enjoying artists whose music makes me feel like I’m on vacation even as my phone is buzzing with a freezing rain weather advisory, so I’m starting with Peach Pit. According to bandsintown, this Vancouver-based band of four makes music that’s “a perfect blend of teenage angst and the golden rays of the last days of summer vacation.” I couldn’t have said it better myself.  With its baby blue and bubblegum pink EP cover, their nostalgic hit “Seventeen” will make you want to delve into the archives of your old Tumblr account. “Shampoo Bottles” is perfect for long drives or if you’re in need of good vibes while completing dull tasks like folding your laundry or doing homework. “Tommy’s Party” feels like a post-surf Sunday morning in Malibu (or at least what I imagine that’s like).

Next is Maggie Rogers, who has recently gained a lot of traction after being discovered by Pharrell Williams during her time at NYU. Her sound makes me feel like I’m at a woodsy summer camp, swinging on a tire swing in an oversized t-shirt and beat-up Converse. According to Refinery 29, “Her crystal-clear vocals are heavily folk-influenced (comparisons to Joni Mitchell abound), but she embraces the kind of experimental electronic beats that make her festival-friendly. The result is a mash-up of new and old that’s easy to listen to, but still feels smarter — and cooler — than much of the other stuff on the radio.” 

“Dog Years” is my leisurely morning theme song. And when I want an extra pep in my step as if I’ve just had a double shot of espresso, I listen to “Love You For A Long Time” and “Fallingwater” on my walk to class. 

The following are some additional bops that pair nicely with the two artists mentioned above: 

“Go Getter” by Moxie 

“Tomorrow” by Shakey Graves 

“Less Than I Do” by The Band CAMINO 

“Eleven” by Khalid 

“Surf” by Mac Miller 

“July” by Noah Cyrus 

“Cold War” by Cautious Clay

“Kissing Other People” by Lennon Stella 

“Dazed & Confused” by Ruel 

“girl in new york” by ROLE MODEL 

“Another summer night without you” by Alexander 23

“Cain” by EXES 

XOXO,

Adele 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.

Adele Cardani

Mt Holyoke '22

Hi, I'm Adele! Fashionista. Coffee shop connoisseur. Glossier fanatic. Diet Coke addict. VSCO photographer. Spotify playlist maker. Amateur gluten-free baker. Aspiring world traveler. Instagram @adelecardani
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.