This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

I’m not sure about anyone else, but the nature of MHC’s mod system has made it so watching movies and tv shows during leisure time is nearly impossible. I, like most others, am infinitely excited for winter break fast approaching, and thus I have compiled a list of movies and shows to watch while I have the time. Some of these are new releases and some of them are old, but all have been on my list for some time and I finally plan on checking them off starting next week.

Dirty Dancing

This is an MHC classic and part of the college’s traditions, so I am mildly ashamed to say that I haven’t yet watched it again this year. This is partially due to the fact that I would probably spend most of the movie sobbing because I’m currently enrolled remotely and will be for the foreseeable future.

Knives Out

I have seen so many positive reviews of this movie (and, if I’m being honest, thirst posts about Chris Evans in sweaters) and I’ve wanted to watch it for the better part of this year but just haven’t made the time. That ends now, though. I want to sit down, relax, and try to solve a murder before the characters do, preferably with a hot beverage and a cat nearby.

Pan’s Labyrinth

I watched director Guillermo del Toro’s Crimson Peak for a class earlier in the semester, and ever since then I’ve wanted to see more of his films. I was drawn to Pan’s Labyrinth because of its fantastical plot and del Toro’s focus on both whimsy and horror. I’ve actually wanted to see this movie for years now, but I’ve put it off for various reasons, which is the case for most of these.

The Queen’s Gambit

This is the only show on my list; the other shows that I plan on watching over break are just ones that I need to catch up on. My coworkers have been raving about this show so I promised to watch it when I had the time, which was not happening before break. This period drama sounds right up my alley, especially with the dark undertones that seem to be part of the plot. The show is also based off of a book, so I want to try and read that too. Will I just start writing articles on rating books and their shows/movies? Only time will tell.

After such a stressful and unpredictable semester, I am beyond excited to get cozy and watch some good visual entertainment. I think we need to reward ourselves after working hard and doing difficult things, so make sure to take time for yourselves and do something that you don’t usually let yourself relax into. Have a happy break!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.     

Annabelle Mackson

Mt Holyoke '23

Hi, I'm Annabelle (she/her) and I'm a sophomore at Mount Holyoke! This is my first semester writing for HerCampus and I'm excited to contribute to this group!
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.