Movie Preview: Oscars 2017 Potentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

The semester is winding down and the holiday season is almost here. One of my favorite pastimes when I go back home is to take a trip to the movie theater. One of my hobbies is to see as many films that I predict will get nominated for the Oscars as I can, so that when the Academy’s do roll around, I can actually compare and talk about the films. So here is a list of some of the films that I think will get nominated for the Oscars this year.

1. Nocturnal Animals

Release Date: November 23, 2016

Trailer

The story of a woman who finds the manuscript of her ex-husband’s novel and reads a story in which she is a character. This film won the Grand Jury Prize in the Venice International Film Festival and will probably get nominated for Best Cinematography. The first thing that critics praise about this movie is its look. This movie has been described as stylish, beautiful, and noir. While the main draw of the movie is its atmosphere, it could be a good character study since it utilizes the two parallel stories. I will say that this may be an arthouse movie and, despite its potential, the story may not be as solid as some of the other films on this list. This movie stars Amy Adams as the main lead and Isla Fisher, who plays the character in the husband’s manuscript. If for no other reason, you can watch this movie to see Isla Fisher play Amy Adam’s doppleganger. Try to tell them apart!

2. Moana

Release Date: November 23, 2016

Trailer 

The story of young girl who goes on a quest with a demigod to become a master way-finder. It’s Disney’s requisite annual animated movie. I’m calling it now, this movie is going to win Best Animated Picture (shocking I know). But my snark aside, Moana is sure to be a fun and colorful movie. Its directors also worked on The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and the Princess and the Frog among other Disney films. Hopefully this film will combine the creativity of their previous works and the richness of Polynesian culture. I am excited for the direction that Disney is headed in, incorporating more people of color and different ethnic groups into their canon. I’m glad that little kids will be able to witness the adventures of the Polynesian princess. Of course, you are never too old to enjoy a Disney movie.

3. Loving

Release Date : November 11, 2016

Trailer

This is the story of Richard and Mildred Loving, the couple who was at the center of the Supreme Court case that legalized interracial marriage. Critics have described this movie as heartfelt and moving. The main focus of the movie is not the court case, it is the couple. The performances given help you see how much these two loved each other and, in turn, they help to highlight how depressing the times that they lived in were. If history movies aren’t normally your cup of tea, you may still be able to connect with this movie. It is a beautiful American romance. That being said, this movie makes you realize how recent this history is. The movie takes place over the eleven years of the court case and the ending takes place in 1967. Movies about racial tensions in America have been a trend for years now, but this film tells a much different story than other films have. This film will probably be nominated for Best Picture and possibly get some actors nominated for Best Actor/Actress or Best Supporting Actor/Actress.

4. Arrival

Release Date: November 11, 2016

Trailer

The story of a linguistic professor who is recruited by the military to translate alien communications. Normally you don’t think of sci-fi as Oscar material, but this film reminds me of James Cameron’s Avatar, in that it will probably utilize the utmost special effects. This film will probably get nominated for Best Visual Effects and Best Sound Editing. Some movies can get nominated solely based on their effects and costume designs. A couple years ago, Snow White and The Huntsman was nominated for best costumes. That’s not to say that Arrival can’t still be good, after all, Mad Max: Fury Road won last year. The Oscars have also been nominating more sci-fi movies like The Dark Knight and Ex Machina over the last couple years. Arrival stars Amy Adams (hello again) and Jeremy Renner, two big names that might be all the reason you need to go see this movie.

5. Lala Land

Release Date: December 6, 2016

Trailer

The story of an aspiring actress and a jazz musician who fall in love in L.A. The film draws from the American musicals of the the ’40s and ’50s and the French ones of the 1960s. It is a romantic musical comedy drama, complete with singing and dancing and looking up into the clouds. The Academy loves films like this, films about artists that are set in L.A., mainly because the majority of the academy members are actors. This film is undoubtedly fun and more lighthearted than others on this list. This film will probably be up for Best Picture but it may also be up for Best Costume Design, Best Set Design, and Best Soundtrack. While this film isn’t the same type of musical that a film like Les Miserables is, it does pay homage to old musicals. The soundtrack will be very important for this movie and so will its atmosphere. This movie is supposed to make you feel nostalgic and make you forget about your cynicism. The two leads, Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, have great chemistry and further help the viewer immerse themselves in the pure bliss which is Lala Land.

If you would like to find more movie recommendations, check out this episode of NPR’s podcast Pop Culture Happy Hour. The impetus for this article came from this episode. I hope you enjoy the movies!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Gauri Ganjoo

Mt Holyoke '19

I was the Co-Campus Coordinator of Her Campus Mt Holyoke for during my senior year of college. where I learnt so much and got to help others find their voice. I graduated in 2019 from Mount Holyoke College with a degree in Mathematics and a minor in Film Studies.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.