rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

What is Generation Z?

Born with the internet and technology right at our fingertips, Generation Z has been characterized as the group of people born between 1997 and 2012. Also known as Post-Millenials, Gen Z is the next up-and-coming generation to watch out for. It is estimated that in the United States, roughly 61 million people account for Gen Z. We have grown up very differently than the generations that came before us and have different motives going into the future about the change we want to see implemented.

Gen Z and Stress

Based on research, Gen Z has been categorized as the lonely generation. With the world at our fingertips through social media, and pressure from work and school, it’s easy to see why this generation faces issues of such chronic stress. Numerous factors contribute to this, including constant news of gun violence, sexual assault claims, political discussions, societal expectations from social media, climate change, and so much more. These are just a few situations that Gen Z has grown up experiencing and continuously seeing on the news headlines.  

According to a study conducted by the American Psychological Association, Generation Z feels more stress about these issues than any other generation. As a result, there have been direct links to physical and mental health problems from the stress of the above topics. These kinds of stressors have a direct impact on the mental health of this generation. Experts believe that pressures associated with social media directly correlate to the overall wellbeing of our mental health.

Technology

Technology has its benefits, such as providing feelings of connectedness, even if you aren’t physically together. The sense of independence that technology offers can lead to depression and loneliness for Generation Z. Since we are the first generation to have always had the technology and social connection, it’s interesting to think about what this will look like as we grow older.

Improving Mental Health

Knowing when to get help from a professional is the first step to taking care of yourself. While getting advice from friends and family can be extremely beneficial, a professional can help identify what the mental health issue is and what resources might be best for you. Other strategies to help reduce general stress include getting enough sleep, spending time with loved ones, taking a break from technology, and incorporating physical activity into your day.

Images: X X X

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.holyoke@hercampus.com

Evelyn Foster

Mt Holyoke '22

Evelyn is a sophomore at Mount Holyoke College double majoring in environmental studies and art history. She loves listening to music, doing art work, hanging out with friends and eating good food.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.