This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Name: Madison Hulme

Class Year: 2018

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Major: English, Education minor

Hometown: Framingham, Massachusetts 

How have you changed as a person since you started at Mount Holyoke?

Before coming to Mount Holyoke I was very much a scared little girl. Being amongst so many brilliant and empowered people has allowed me to flourish into a stronger and braver woman. Mount Holyoke has shaped my politics to be more progressive and has allowed me to think critically and better engage with the world at large. Not every memory I have is a good one, as expected, and I do have some qualms with how things are run at Moho but I cannot imagine I’d be the person I am today had I not chosen to attend this school.

Was English the major you had in mind when you started college?

Yes, it was. I knew I wanted to become a high school English teacher upon arriving, although my first semester I did explore the realm of politics and psychology.

What made you decide to study abroad in London?

Truth be told, I chose London because the native language is English and because I had heard such wonderful things about the city. Also, I happen to have British heritage.

(Maddie in London)

Do you have any words of advice for students who are unsure of whether or not they should study abroad? What are the pros and cons?

I would say that if you have the means to study abroad then DO IT. It has been the best decision I’ve made in my undergraduate career. I love Mount Holyoke but :South Sadley” (sorry) can get a bit boring. Being in a city and at a large university, even for just a semester, has been eye-opening and so exciting. Obviously the biggest con is that it can be financially draining. I saved for two years before coming here and my parents were able to pay for housing and my plane ticket. Living in London ain’t cheap but it’s been so worth it.

What has been your favorite course at Mount Holyoke so far? What courses do you hope to take during your senior year?

I thoroughly enjoyed my Educational Psychology course. For anyone with a traditional public school American education, take it! That class truly shaped how I view teaching and learning and turned many of my educational ideals on their head. Amy Grillo is a brilliant professor and if she happens to be teaching it in the fall then don’t hesitate, sign up! This fall, I am excited for a class that focuses on teaching English at the high school level. I can’t wait to make lesson plans and practice doing activities and giving lectures.

What organizations are you a part of on campus? Do you have a favorite?

I am part of two literary magazines, Quick Brown Fox and Moneta. Look for their latest issues! I enjoy both of them equally.

Out of all of the residence halls you’ve lived in, which has been your favorite? What made you like it the most?

I’ve lived in MacGregor, South Rockefeller and Creighton. I loved MacG for its view and its proximity to a dining hall. I loved Rockies for its location and its common room. I loved Creighton for its newness and its spacious rooms. I would say Creighton is the best of all three.

(MacGregor Hall)

(South Rockefeller Hall/South Rockies)

(Creighton Hall)

What are your top three favorite places at Mount Holyoke?

I love walking around Upper Lake because I find a great deal of peace there. I love sitting in Abbey dining hall, it’s the most welcoming and homey cafe, and grabbing brunch with my friends. I love the reading room in the library (when the sun sets and the pink sky lights up the windows…nothing compares).

(Upper Lake)

Who do you consider to be your greatest role model?

I find role models in many people. My mom is my role model, as is my dad. I see favorable qualities in many people I meet and public figures. It’s too hard to choose one.

What makes you laugh the hardest?

Terrible memes and when my mom attempts to understand said terrible memes.

What do you plan to do after you graduate Mount Holyoke?

I plan on becoming part of a teaching organization, like City-Year or Teach for America, for a year or so. Then I hope to skip around the country a bit. Eventually, I’ll return to Boston and teach in a public school. Someday I hope to get into educational policy and try and fix some of the mess our government has made.

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.  

ABOUT ME Name: Olivia Hobert Pronouns: She/Her/Hers Age: 20 Birthday: March 6 Astrological Sign: Pisces College/Year: Mount Holyoke College 2020 Major: Psychology & Education Hometown: Framingham, MA Hobbies: Writing, Reading, Photography
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.