This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

I’ve always been a little bit hesitant to try my hand at weight lifting. But this year my goal was to conquer this challenge and get my lifting on! I decided to take a weight lifting class here at Mount Holyoke College to ease myself into it. As a result of this class, I’ve brought friends in and showed them how to use certain pieces of equipment so they, too, can be more comfortable within the gym. Through this experience I have learned so much about myself and my goals but moreover an appreciation for a rockin playlist, it’s a game changer. 

During this class I made a killer playlist to help motivate myself during these workouts. It is filled with some classic rock that has the perfect rhythm for lifting as well as keeping you working hard. 

Traditionally, to work on lifting, you target 4 specific muscle groups: arms (triceps/biceps), shoulders, chest/back, and legs (quads/hamstrings/calves). Personally, I do cardio for at least 10-20 minutes or complete a total body warm up before working out. By focusing on something as simple as working on a specific muscle for one day, I have been able to create a regimented routine that fits my needs and schedule. So why not rock out while lifting? Hope you enjoy! 

• “Heat of The Moment” by Asia 
  • “Gods of War” by Def Leppard 
  • “Layla” by Derek & The Dominos 
  • “I Believe In A Thing Called Love” by The Darkness 
  • “Safari Song” by Greta Van Fleet
  • “Animal” by Def Leppard 
  • “Your Love” by The Outfield 
  • “Rock You Like A Hurricane” by Scorpions 
  • “Blister In The Sun” by Violent Femmes 
  • “No Good” by KALEO 
  • “New Moon On Monday” by Duran Duran 
  • “Mony Mony” by Billy Idol 
  • “Good Vibrations” by Marky Mark And The Funky Bunch 
  • “You Might Think” by The Cars 
  • “It’s Tricky” by Run-D.M.C 
  • “Goody Two Shoes” by Adam Ant 
  • “London Calling” by The Clash 
  • ‘Hold The Line” by TOTO 
  • “Shout It Out Loud” by KISS 
  • “I Was Made For Lovin’ You” by KISS 
  • “Detroit Rock City” by KISS 
  • “We Built This City” by Starship
  • “The Boys Are Back In Town” by Thin Lizzy 
  • “We’re Not Gonna Take It” by Twisted Sister 
  • “Dancing With Myself” by Billy Idol

Lifting has truly changed my point of view about fitness and I am sure it will do the same for you! If you would like to listen to the playlist here’s the link: 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com

Amanda Thibodeau

Mt Holyoke '24

Intending to major in History and Education Just a girl who loves to listen to music and watch films