This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

I absolutely LOVE a good pantsuit! I think it can look good on everyone and anyone, there’s so much versatility to this classic look that it never gets old. It can be tight-fitting, oversized and loose, or tailored to perfection – and all will look amazing. Pantsuits range in fabric, color, and print, making it easy to wear on many occasions, including just walking around as an elevated street style. A pantsuit will always be the right option and is a great way to add a little more elegance or sophistication to your everyday style. It is one of my goals in life to own the perfect pantsuit for every occasion, so below I have made a list of some of my favorite pantsuits and some ideas on how to style them!

A Classic Black and White

David Letterman Show (2014)❤️#emmawatson

A post shared by FANPAGE (@emma_watson.idol) on

When I first saw this fit I loved it so much that I wanted to wear something similar to my high school prom. I didn’t end up wearing a suit, but this did launch my love for pantsuits. You can never go wrong in a more traditional looking suit, as it is a classic look that will always be in style. 

Three Piece Perfection

XIE XIE BEIJING ❤️❤️❤️WO AI NI ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ @detectivepikachumovie

A post shared by KATHRYN NEWTON (@kathrynnewton) on

I fell in love with this look the first time I saw it. This pale pink, tailored three piece is literal perfection in my eyes! It’s a big trend not to wear suits without a proper (or any) shirt under the blazer/suit jacket, and this is a great take on that trend. By using the waistcoat as a shirt it brings a sexiness to the outfit but still keeps the elegance that a suit inevitably brings. What really brings this look together is the gold accessories that match the buttons of the suit, which is just the cherry on top of an already great outfit. 

Chic Street Style

This is another great example of the trend of not wearing a traditional shirt for a suit. However, the styling here, done with a belt and using the jacket as a minidress, is such a unique take on this trend and I am absolutely here for it. The whole outfit is eye-catching and definitely brings an edge to this classic piece. Put together with the sunglasses, earrings and especially those boots it is enough to give anyone style envy. 

Sweater Weather

Looking for an opportunity to dress up! . . #tarasutaria #fashion #styleicon #pinkvillafashion #pinkvilla

A post shared by Pinkvilla Fashion (@pinkvillafashion) on

I know that all too soon it will be summer, but I couldn’t not mention another staple in suit styling: switching out a shirt for a sweater, extra points if it’s a turtleneck or mock-neck sweater. I think it’s the perfect way to make a pantsuit more wearable and casual, or just more comfortable.

Summer Shorts

Suits can still be an option in the summer! Just switch out the usual material for a lighter one like linen, or you can switch out the pants for shorts or skirts. Personally, I think shorts bring out  a youthful and playful vibe to suits that can be missing. However, it still looks super elegant and stylish. 

Monochrome 

COLOR, #withatwist ? We call these mood-boosting shades of pink “neon berry” and “vintage fuschia”.

A post shared by J.Crew (@jcrew) on

Who needs a small pop of color when your whole outfit can be a shining color? Pantsuits are one of the easiest things to style monochromatically, as they usually can be found in sets. This works for solid colors and prints, and can be a great way to show off your styling techniques. If you’re not one for bright colors, then neutrals work just as well as this hot pink number shown here. Wearing a monochrome set makes you seem more put together even if you just threw on your outfit!

Mix and Match

With many people sticking to monochrome, it can be hard to deviate from that, but mixing and matching colors and prints can be just as fun! This can be a great way to show personal style and preference when not constrained by a single color or pattern. 

Fabric Change 

One way to change up this classic style is by switching up the material that the suit is made of. A classic fit can make you feel powerful, but with a different fabric that slightly changes the silhouette, it can make you feel like a boss. Another great thing shown in this photo is using a belt to give the outfit more shape, instead of it making you look like a box it showcases your body shape. 

Oversized

View this post on Instagram

@ellebrasil by @maltoni

A post shared by Hailey Baldwin Bieber (@haileybieber) on

I literally just talked about using a belt to give yourself more shape, but oversized everything is another big trend right now, and that does not exclude oversized suits. The trick is trying to find a way to not get swallowed up in it. One way to do that is by using a belt as mentioned before, or by keeping the blazer unbuttoned to act as a jacket instead as done here. 

Overall, you cannot go wrong with pantsuits! And it’s a sure way to make yourself look like you have your life together!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.

Michaela Phelan

Mt Holyoke '22

I am an International Relations major who just really likes to read, listen to music, and watch tv.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.