This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Name: Jorge

Pronouns: They/them (gander is a social construct)

Hometown: Lower Lake, South Hadley MA

Class Year: 1993

When did you start working for LITS?

I was first sighted on campus in 1993. As I began to build a reputation among students on campus, LITS decided to officially instate me as their mascot in order to help spread the word about LITS resources and events. At first I only appeared in signs and posters, but now I am featured on the library webpage, in various button designs, and even on the canvas tote bags that are given to the first-year students. It has definitely become a rewarding career for me!

Me leaving the Research Help Desk.

What are some of your hobbies?

When I’m not working at LITS, I enjoy strutting around campus, sunbathing by Lower Lake, and meeting local dog-walkers. I have also become rather skilled at posing for selfies with students. At 3:30 am, I enjoy practicing my honking. Having a voice in the community is so important.

What do you think about Super Blanch?

I am not a huge fan of Super Blanch because I already know that centralized dining will not be as convenient for me. My favorite place to eat is Prospect because it’s so close to where I live. I can’t imagine walking all the way to Blanchard from the lake to get bread. Due to the fact that I have been at Mount Holyoke since 1993, I have gotten used to being spoiled by convenience of the current dining system.

What’s your favorite MHC tradition?

There are so many great Mount Holyoke traditions but one of my favorites is O-101 at the beginning of the year. It is very amusing to see how students portray me in the skit. And I’ve always thought the seniors should just recruit me for Dis-O instead of using those horns.

You are popularly credited with the quote “Gander is a social construct”? How do you respond to that?

I believe it was someone on YikYak who spread the quote around, and it is a statement/pun that I stand by.

Name one thing in your life that is important to you.

The most important thing in my life are my family and friends. As many people notice, I am always with my ducklings. Even while being a public figure with a busy schedule, I make sure to set aside time for the birds closest to me. Over the years I have established many meaningful friendships with the Mallard ducks, Canadian geese, and all the waterfowl in Lower Lake. Since migrating to Mount Holyoke, I’ve noticed that my social circle has diversified, and being a part of such a diverse bird community is very rewarding.

Please address the conspiracy theory that you get replaced.

No comment.

Anything else you would like to add?

Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook! Also, please don’t chase me when I’m on land!

Images [a] [b] [c]

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Kalea Martin

Mt Holyoke '19

Buongiorno! I'm Kalea. I love dogs, ice hockey, and breakfast. My skills include giving hugs and singing Les Mis in the shower.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.