This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

I often like to listen to instrumental music while I study. A little jazz, some soft piano…these sounds can be very soothing while studying, and don’t have lyrics that might distract. There are three artists I’ve been listening to recently, and I thought I’d share them with you. Making a “Study Tunes” playlist has been one of my better decisions this semester. It makes me happy!

Artie Shaw and His Orchestra have a Jazz album from 1987 called Begin The Beguine that has a lovely old fashioned sound to it and is really comforting when it’s playing in the background in my dorm. My favorite song on the album is called “Moonglow.” This song makes me feel like I’m strolling through the streets of Paris under the stars! This impression is probably influenced by Disney’s The Artistocats, if I’m honest. The song is really beautiful, though! It feels very romantic and heartwarming. 

Vince Gauraldi/The Vince Gauraldi Trio is probably my most favorite instrumental music to listen to. The A Charlie Brown Christmas album is the best Christmas album—hands down, do not fight me on this—ever. However, I listen to that one during the Christmas season, so my “Study Tunes” playlist includes some of his other Peanuts songs. My favorite is the “Thanksgiving Theme.” I adore the A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving film and watch it every year, so I have a special attachment to this song (see my favorite gif of all time, below). Gauraldi’s Peanuts jazz music is light, cozy, and nostalgic. 

Eric Satie’s classical piano music is truly wonderful and very calming. My roommate played Satie’s song “Gymnopedie No.1” for me, and I fell in love with it. It’s a really delicate piece. It inspires the imagery of ballet,  tiptoeing, and being gentle and quiet. I look forward to exploring more of his music! So far, it’s perfect to play in the evening when I’m winding down for the night.

I hope you will give these artists a listen! Even better, make a study playlist and never work in silence again! Happy listening. 

Images: X X X X

Rachael Amoruso

Mt Holyoke '22

Hi, I'm Rachael! I'm a sophomore and an English and Italian double major! I love dogs, eating pastries, being outdoors, and writing. Most of all, I love Mount Holyoke! #redpegasus
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.