I Thought K-Pop Would Be a Phase, but It’s Been Four Years: Finding Stray Kids ★

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

My best friend from high school was the one who introduced me to the world of Korean pop music. After hearing my first K-pop song (“Peter Pan” by EXO ❤️ Give it a listen!), one music video led to another, and, well, you know how YouTube works. The dancer in me was filled with wonder at the precise and complex choreographies, and I felt proud of being Asian for one of the first times in my life. I must make it clear that I am not Korean, and it’s not my place to claim K-pop as my own, but K-pop has played such a precious part in the acceptance of my Asian identity, and for that, I will always be thankful.

Throughout my four years of listening to music in a new language, I’ve changed my bias (translation: favorite) group frequently, but the group that has touched my heart and means the most to me is Stray Kids. I believe I relate to Stray Kids so much because all of the members are around my age, and their music has accompanied me as I’ve grown up. Somehow they are able to translate all my thoughts and feelings into powerful melodies and sweet songs, and it feels so heartwarming to know that there’s someone else out there who understands what I am going through.

Stray Kids has released seven mini albums, and each one is special to me in its own way.

☆​  Album One: Mixtape

The first Stray Kids song I listened to was “Hellevator.” The song speaks about treading along a narrow path through a dark tunnel and enduring the pit of despair as others refuse to reach their hands out for comfort, but pushing through the pain and tears to reach dreams at the top of the hellevator. “Hellevator” wrote a story familiar to my life, and I couldn’t stop thinking about it for days following my first listen because of how profound and true the song is. “Hellevator” never fails to remind me that though life is full of challenges, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

Ohio University Athens Hockhocking Adena Bikeway
Hannah Moskoiwtz

☆​  Album Two: I am Not

My favorite song from I am Not is “Grow Up.” The chorus translates to, “You’re doing fine… Have strength, just endure a little more / I’ll be next to you… You gotta take your time, you can do it.” It’s very easy for me to become anxious about the events of today, my ever-growing to-do list for tomorrow, and becoming an independent adult in the near future, but “Grow Up” reassures me to take one step at a time, and everything will be fine. Everything will fall into place in the way my life is meant to be.

☆​  Album Three: I am Who

I am Who released just as I was opening my Common App account, shuffling around my college list, and forcing myself to write yet another essay about why I want to attend yet another college. The title track from I am Who is “My Pace,” and the song was what I needed to hear. The verses describe comparing yourself to others and struggling with feeling inadequate and lacking, but the chorus affirms that there’s no need to rush. When Stray Kids told me to take the college application process at my own pace and that it’s okay to take things slower, I felt validated in a way I had never gotten used to before. As a slow person, these were the magic words. Now I’m at Mount Holyoke, and I am so thankful to experience my first year of college in such a supportive environment!

☆​  Album Four: I am You

No matter how many friends we have, there will always be a moment of loneliness. Sometimes when I feel isolated, this EP in particular is one of my go-tos. I am You includes several songs dedicated to STAYs, the official name for Stray Kids’ fans, describing our bond and promise to run along with each other. For me, hearing my favorite group say, “I’ll stay by your side” comforts me when I feel lost. This reminds me that if someone who doesn’t know my name can understand how I’m feeling, there must be a friend closeby who does too.

Person Alone on a dock
Pexels

☆​  Album Five: Clé 1: Miroh

I don’t believe it’s a coincidence that Miroh, an EP full of references to time and clocks, came out during my last semester of high school. “Chronosaurus” describes time as a beast hungry for prey, and “19” voices the paradox of wanting to grow up as a child but feeling unready to face the real world as a young adult; the more I listen to this album, the more I realize how fast time passes and how I only have my youth once. 

I used to complain about going to the same school with the same kids since kindergarten, but as the end of my high school days were drawing near, my heart was overwhelmed by how much I would miss my classmates. Miroh pushed me to cherish the people around me at any given moment because the experience wasn’t meant to last forever.

☆​  Album Six: Clé 2: Yellow Wood

Yellow Wood, a nod to Robert Frost’s poem “The Road Not Taken,” is a special EP that was released this past summer including a mix of new and old songs. As I was preparing to embark on my college journey, I was almost certain I wanted to become an English teacher. Almost. “TMT,” which stands for “Too Many Thoughts,” was able to articulate the questions that ran through my mind at night: “The two different paths between crisis and opportunity / Is the one that I’ve been on a crisis? / Pretending not to know I keep asking.”   

☆​  Album Seven: Clé: Levanter

For the past two and a half years, Stray Kids has come out with song after song about never giving up when chasing a dream. However, the message I gained from “Levanter” off their latest EP was that one day, I might have to give up on a dream, but letting go may free me so that I can fly higher to a more beautiful destination I never would have imagined. 

flowers at sunset
Photo by Brian Garcia on Unsplash

Stray Kids has added so much beauty to my life and helped me to see the world from a different perspective. If you haven’t already, one day, you will find a musical artist, a poet, an artist, or maybe even a Kpop group who is able to capture everything that you are feeling and express your emotions in a way that you connect to so deeply, and I hope that they are able to bring you as much happiness and contentment that Stray Kids has brought me.  

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.

Elizabeth Huang

Mt Holyoke '23

Hi there! I'm Elizabeth, and I am a prospective English major at Mount Holyoke College. My dream is to become an English teacher and share the magic of literature with others. I read books like they're precious cookie crumbs (my favorites are "All the Light We Cannot See" and "To All the Boys I've Loved Before," and I'm Team John Ambrose), I'm a bubble tea and stationery enthusiast, my preferred mode of transportation is dancing, and if you think I can steer any conversation toward K-Pop, then you're absolutely right. Have a wonderful day!
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.