This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Sometimes certain shows are talked about so much that I don’t really know if the show is actually good or not. The hype of some shows can seem daunting or unappealing to me. However, oftentimes shows are talked about a lot for a reason, and mostly good reasons at that. I mean, there are obviously some exceptions: Riverdale is super popular, but everyone knows that it shouldn’t be taken too seriously. Here is my list of hyped shows that I think are deserving of all the hype they get. All the shows mentioned can be found on Netflix.

The Queen’s Gambit

This show has been everywhere lately. If you haven’t watched this already I highly recommend it. At first glance you may think that this show isn’t for you, but it has something for everyone. The show is about Beth Harmon, who, while living in an orphanage, discovers she is a chess prodigy. I didn’t think a show about chess would be interesting, but this is shot just like a sports movie. With the highs and lows of competition, family, and love, it is more than just about chess: it’s about Beth finding herself through chess. The show deals with topics such as addiction and sexism in the 60’s, and in my opinion, I feel that it tackles them well. 

The Great British Baking Show

If you like cooking shows then this is perfect for you. At first I didn’t get the hype. I thought it was just a baking show that was held in Britain and that’s why it’s so popular. However, it is all about the way the contestants act towards one another that makes it so great. Just about all American cooking competitions are so… well, competitive, but Bake Off isn’t. Yes, the contestants want to win, but they’re not sabotaging anyone and the judges are so much nicer than any of the judges on American shows. 

Queer Eye

I watched this show because my friend talked about it all the time. At first I was skeptical, but I soon realized why everyone loves it. It is so wholesome and really puts a smile on your face. Each episode showcases someone new and you get to learn about different people’s struggles and the way that many of them have had to put their lives on hold. The Fab 5 don’t try to change anyone, just try to get them to live their best life, and I think that’s a great message. 

Haikyuu!!

This is one of the most popular anime shows right now, and let me just say that it is absolutely amazing. It is about a small high school volleyball team trying to make it to the big stage by going up against powerhouse schools. The show follows the whole team but specifically two members, Hinata, a novice to volleyball who makes up for his lack in skill with his enthusiasm and readiness to learn, and Kageyama, a stoic volleyball prodigy. Their clashing personalities only add to the rambunctious team, and when you learn the backstories of each team that they face you are really struck with a dilemma: who to root for. 

The Umbrella Academy

This show is such a fun ride: the crazy family dynamics, weird superpowers, and unique storyline all help bring something different to the table. It’s about an adoptive family who were all mysteriously born on the same day and exhibit strange abilities. The show starts when their adoptive father dies, and soon after, their missing brother returns saying he needs help to stop the upcoming apocalypse. These estranged siblings have to put their differences aside to help stop the destruction of the world, but in trying to help, they may make things worse. The show is fun and a breath of fresh air in the superhero/action genre.

I hope if you haven’t seen these shows, you now feel at least a little more interested in them. Happy watching! 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.     

Michaela Phelan

Mt Holyoke '22

I am an International Relations major who just really likes to read, listen to music, and watch tv.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.