Anna Schultz-Girl Using Laptop On Bed
Anna Schultz-Girl Using Laptop On Bed
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Life > Academics

How to pull a successful all-nighter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

For Spring Break, I had a well-tailored list of things I wanted to do. Ahead of the due dates, I planned to complete my readings and the questions that accompanied them. I also wanted to complete the novel “As I Lay Dying” by William Faulkner because if anyone has read this novel you know you need time to dissect it. I had a whole lot more, but do you know what I completed out of this list? Nothing. 

I slept, ate, and binge-watched Korean dramas for the whole of the eight days we had for Spring Break. Then Sunday before classes resumed, I did what I had always done to make up for me putting things off: pull an all-nighter.

You probably thought I was going to make a guide on how to not procrastinate. But I have attended advice events on how to not procrastinate as a way to procrastinate so I have gone full circle and still no change. Therefore this guide will be about how to pull off a successful all-nighter.

1. Make a plan: I mean write down everything you have to do and rank them in order of due dates. It probably makes sense to start doing the things due the next day. As you go through the list, tick it off. 
  2. Tea: I’m not a coffee drinker but I am an avid advocate for all types of teas. My favorite is the hibiscus tea I get from the dining hall. It’s definitely a kicker. Keep some hot tea at arm’s reach to drink whenever you feel yourself slipping away. Honestly, I don’t recommend coffee or energy drinks. I’ve seen a coffee crash with my friends and it’s very similar to a hangover. The lack of sleep is already damaging so don’t add more stress to your body.
  3. Don’t lose focus: Not even for a second do you divert your attention to anything that isn’t’ on your list. This is what got you here in the first place. So keep the phones away.
  4. Power nap: Getting a nap in the middle of the day is probably what most procrastinators like myself do anyway to avoid work. So if you’re like me, this is already built-in. But if not, try to get some snooze time in the afternoon. “Studies have shown that even a quick shut-eye of 10 to 20 minutes is enough to give your brain a boost for the night ahead”(source).
  5. Slow and steady wins the race: Earlier, I stated that you shouldn’t lose focus. But this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take breaks. They are not interchangeable. The popular saying “Life is a marathon, not a sprint” (source). Just replace the word “life” with “all-nighter.” You don’t want to double-burnout so take a breather. Walk around. For Covid times, maybe go outside and take off your mask. I like to do some warmups like high knees or jumping jacks, just to get my heart pumping and keep me awake.
  6. Smell: The smell of the place you’re working in can be important. I understand that most of us pull all-nighters in the library and that’s okay. Places like that usually have the focus vibes so you don’t really need to worry about the smell. I always reach for a peppermint oil to put in my diffuser when I’m pulling an all-nighter. The sharp yet refreshing smell helps keep me up at night and focused on my work.
  7. Get a friend to suffer with: I’m a little ambivalent about this advice because friends can be a huge distraction. I never study with friends because I don’t get anything done. But if you have friends that understand that you need to focus, then get them. It’s nice to have someone who keeps you focused and awake.
  8. Take the defeat, if it comes to it: Listen, sometimes you try and try and you still don’t make it. It’s life. When you come to terms with the fact that you’re not getting much work done, just go to sleep. Pulling an all-nighter is one thing, pulling an unproductive all-nighter is very unnecessary and just downright useless. You lose sleep and you get no work done. So come to the conclusion and come to it early so you can get some sleep and be ready to fight the demons tomorrow.
  9. Make up the sleep: If you successfully pull the all-nighter and get your work done, make sure to get to sleep earlier. You can’t truly “make-up” sleep, but you can try to get more snooze time so you feel better oriented the next day. Your body will probably force you to make it up anyways because you will absolutely feel tired. I recommend that you don’t take any coffee or any helpful substances to feel better the day after an all-nighter. Let your body do what it needs to do to get back in the zone.

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.

Cynthia Akanaga is a junior at Mount Holyoke College, hailing from the diverse country of Nigeria in West Africa. Her excitement for embracing a new culture, trying different cuisines, and connecting with people has brought her to the United States. She's eagerly looking forward to immersing herself in these new experiences. Apart from her studies, Cynthia is a strong advocate for self-love and mental health. She finds joy in sharing her personal journey and insights, aiming to inspire and empower others along the way. When she's not busy with her academic pursuits or writing, Cynthia satisfies her love for adrenaline and fitness. Whether it's hiking, running, rock climbing, or indulging in the thrill of rollercoasters, she approaches every adventure with fearless enthusiasm.