How to Choose Where to Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

If you’re considering studying abroad and aren’t yet sure where you want to go, you’ve come to the right place. For anyone who’s labored over college applications before in high school, applying to college again may seem daunting or discouraging. But since you’ve already experienced college, you know what you like and don’t like, your chances of getting accepted to college abroad are probably higher, and there are a ton of resources that Mount Holyoke offers to help you with many aspects of preparing for study abroad. I’ve included four steps on how to choose where to go, which is arguably the most abstract and significant part of the process.

1. Familiarize yourself with deadlines and what you have to do to prepare

Depending on when you want to study abroad, your next steps might still be some distance away. If you’re new to study abroad at Mount Holyoke, you want to start by looking at the McCulloch Center Study Abroad page, specifically at “First Steps”. You can also see what info sessions and other events are taking place on their calendar.

2. Create a preliminary list of possible programs

Think of what is most important to you: language, location, field of study, cost, world rank, etc. It may be helpful to make a spreadsheet of stats of various colleges as well as a list of what you are specifically looking for. See what programs are approved by Mount Holyoke by visiting this page. Every program that’s listed is directly affiliated with or has received MHC’s approval.

To search by location, language, and Laurel approval, visit MHC’s Study Abroad Programs page and choose a region. Next to every program will be the language courses are taught in, whether or not it is Laurel-approved, as well as any length limitations (fall spring, year).

To search by field of study, go to Search by Major. There, you can search by major or country to see what classes people have taken, in what field, and at what institution.

3. Narrow your search

Students tend to be advised to apply to no more than three institutions. Once you have a list of five to ten options, start to look at student life and reviews. There are many ways to do this:

A) School websites– Official sites will be your one-stop shop for tuition costs, applications, course catalogs, and much more.

B) YouTube– Most colleges, if not all, have a YouTube channel with videos showcasing programs, clubs, sports, student life, and academics.

C) Abroad101 (and similar sites)- Secondary sources will have conveniently organized stats and often student reviews. Abroad101 specifically can put you in touch with admissions officials and allow you to organize your top choices.

D) Student Blogs and Articles– A bit of searching the internet can lead you to excellent insight into the experience of actual students who have studied abroad. I’m interested in the University of Edinburgh, so I looked up “Mount Holyoke University of Edinburgh study abroad” and found this in a series of blogs by a Mount Holyoke student about her experience at Edinburgh. When searching, you can delete “Mount Holyoke” or replace it with a similar institution to broaden your results. It’s a good way to sort through the suitability of a program for your interests and be more prepared for study abroad.

4. Meet with your department advisor and make an appointment at the McCulloch Center and Student Financial Services

October is a good time to coordinate meetings If you’re planning on studying abroad next year or even next fall semester. They will appreciate you for being methodical and on your game, and it’ll make your life easier as well. If you can, attend the International Fair on Tuesday, September 20 from 5:00-7:00pm in Chapin for more information on a wide range of study abroad programs. Good luck with your study abroad search!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Casey Linenberg

Mt Holyoke '19

Hi! I'm co-Campus Correspondent for Mount Holyoke's chapter of Her Campus. In addition to HC, I study English and am a member of our campus newspaper.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.