This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

It seems to happen every year: the New Year’s resolutions  start strong and eventually dwindle away, the daily workouts become once-a-month workouts, and that fresh New Year feeling just goes away. That’s why this year I am implementing simple and achievable changes into my life, which you can adapt for yourself to appreciate the small successes in 2020. 

Make Your Bed 

I am sure you have heard this one many times, but a clean space equals a clean mind. Making your bed may seem like a trivial task, but I find it’s a simple way to instantly start your morning on a productive note. Additionally, coming back to your dorm after a long day is so much more relaxing when there’s less clutter. To incentivise myself, I like to make sure I like my bedding by getting a cute throw pillow or changing up my comforter. 

Put Water on Your Night Stand

Although I have had many well-meaning relatives send me countless articles on the “incredibly numerous health benefits of drinking water,” drinking water first thing in the morning is often put on the back burner for me. It is especially hard when a cup of coffee in the morning is much more enticing. To help me drink more water recently, I have done two things: invested in a large water bottle, and kept it beside my bed at night. Having a large water bottle (mine is 32 oz) makes staying hydrated throughout the day simpler, as I don’t have to constantly find a water fountain or non-sketchy sink to fill up my bottle. In addition to this, keeping my water next to my bed makes it super easy to wake up and drink water as the first thing I do, setting me up for a hydrated day. 

Find Organization that Works for You

I am a huge supporter of anything organization related, from jewelry organizers to daily planners.  I have realized it is important to find what works specifically for you. I personally use an academic year planner (of the non-electronic, scribbles- and sticky notes-filled variety), which  keeps me on top of things. I have tried Google Calendar before, and the format simply doesn’t work for me. Recently I have also started using a bullet journal, which I have been absolutely loving. I like to use the bullet journal for more personal planning and hobbies, and my academic planner for school-related tasks. This year, I suggest trying out whatever method works best for you, and happy organizing! 

Make the List Before You Sleep 

This is a simple change that I have implemented recently, but I have found it takes away a lot of stress. All of last year, I would routinely write my to-do list for the day in the morning to set myself up for what I needed to do that day. Although I think this is a great way to start the morning because it leaves you feeling organized, I have switched to writing my to-do lists at night. By doing this, I can get out of my brain everything I need to do the next day before the day actually starts, while also removing stress so that I can sleep more soundly. 

Here’s to a successful, organized, and abundant 2020! 

XOXO, Bella 

Images: X X X X

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.   

Isabella LoRe

Mt Holyoke '23

Hi! I'm Bella, a first year at Mount Holyoke College. I love fashion, documenting my life on my Youtube channel, and crafting obnoxiously complicated coffee orders (sorry baristas).
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.