Great Scott! Introducing I Don’t Know How But They Found Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

I Don’t Know How But They Found Me, or IDKHBTFM for short, are a musical duo comprised of Dallon Weekes and Ryan Seaman. Both musicians have extensive backgrounds, spanning many years before the formation of IDKHBTFM. Dallon Weekes, husband and father of two from Utah, began his musical career as the creator of and driving force behind The Brobecks. Weekes then joined Panic! At The Disco and worked with the band for eight years before he left in 2017. During that time, he released a few singles of his own, consisting mainly of covers and Christmas songs. After his departure from Panic!, Weekes focused fully on IDKHBTFM. Ryan Seaman, also from Utah, was a part of many musical projects before drumming for IDKHBTFM. He was a member of multiple bands, including being the longest-running drummer of Falling in Reverse. Seaman also was a part of The Brobecks with Weekes and aided with Weekes’ singles.

IDKHBTFM do not easily fall under any genre, but can be best described as a cross between indie rock and synth alternative pop. While that may seem like a lot or a pretty broad categorization, part of the band’s appeal is that it does not fit inside the boxes of typical music genres. In fact, the band’s music, aesthetic, and live presence generate a feel that is uniquely individual to IDKHBTFM. However, it was a long road before the general public were able to experience the band’s distinct sound and appeal.

The band was introduced initially in 2016, when Weekes and Seaman began to perform at small venues and Emo Nites. However, they did not announce a name for the band or advertise their appearances. In fact, both members diligently denied the formation of the band, shutting down rumors on social media and refusing to confirm the creation or name of the band. This continued on for many months until the release of their first official single, “Modern Day Cain” was released. Only then was it officially announced that IDKHBTFM had entered the music scene. Despite the public discovering the band in 2016, Weekes had been toying with the idea of the project since 2009. In fact, in 2009, Weekes sent out a tweet containing the Back to the Future quote that inspired the band’s name. After seven years, Weekes finally saw his ideas realized thanks to his dedicated fans.

The band was not signed to a record label for the release of their first three singles. All of the songs were self-produced and self-published. Seaman and Weekes made no effort to advertise the band or to build up excitement for the songs’ releases. In fact, “Modern Day Cain” was teased on Instagram only the day before its release. The reason that the band was able to gain popularity and then remain popular was due to their fans. Immediately, fans of Weekes, Seaman, and their past musical projects were hooked onto the idea of IDKHBTFM: Tumblr accounts were created, Twitter users shared the songs, Instagram videos of song covers were recorded. IDKHBTFM made it easy for fans to interact with the band, accepting artwork at merch booths at their shows and creating Instagram contests surrounding their Superstar Showcase. The band had no management outside of its members, until the release of their latest single, “Do It All The Time” confirmed that they had finally signed to Fearless Records.Now that the band has officially signed to a label, fans are expecting an album to be released in the near future. IDKHBTFM has already gone on multiple tours and performed live at a few festivals, and there is a good possibility that more new music will result in a chance to see them live again soon. Their latest Instagram post teased that new music or more information about the band is right around the corner.

If you’re looking for upbeat music that takes you back to an 80s vibe with a modern alternative touch and atypical lyrics, make sure to check out I Don’t Know How But They Found Me on YouTube, Spotify, and Apple Music and follow them on Twitter and Instagram! Additionally, if alternative pop music interests you, be sure to check out my review of the new DREAMERS EPs.

Images: X X

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Rachel Paradis

Mt Holyoke '22

I am a senior at Mount Holyoke majoring in mathematics and minoring in psychology. I enjoy listening to music and crocheting, as well as Halloween and antique/thrift shops.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.