Getting Fit for the Holiday Season: 5 Things You Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Just because the weather is getting cooler and the sun is setting earlier does not mean that our days of being active outside are over. Especially with the approach of the holiday season, it’s important to get into the habit of staying healthy by exercising daily. In order to encourage yourself to workout more often on a daily basis, consider investing some bucks in appropriate workout gear instead of sticking to your sweatpants and oversized T-shirts.

Looking your part is important in exercising. Appropriately fitted clothing will help you look leaner and you will feel more comfortable. Here are 5 great investments to your workout routine.

1) The necessity workout shoes. No matter what sports you play or whether you workout inside or outside, a pair of appropriate shoes is the basis of every workout, which makes them the most important piece of any workout outfit. Some brands to consider – Mizuno, Brooks, Nike, Addidas, New Balance, Asics, and Saucony. The best way to purchase a pair of shoes is to go to a running store where the sales associates are actually trained to access your running style. Many shoes stores have treadmills to sample different pairs of shoes and some stores, like Boston Marathon, will actually allow you to run a block or two outside. Price range: $45-$150.

[ pagebreak ]

2) Thermal Second-skin fit top and tights are a girl’s best friend in the winter for outdoor activities. They fit under sweats and can even be paired with running shorts. Depending on the brand and the pricing, they will keep you insulated from 40 degrees to the negatives. Just because it’s cold and snowy outside does not mean you can’t enjoy the beauty of winter with a nice jog. Some great brands to refer to are Under Armour and Nike. Price range: $40-$170.

[ pagebreak ]

3) Insulting fleece zip-ups are great layering pieces for the coldest of winter days to light fall and spring seasons. Fleece is one of the warmest and most insulating materials for clothing and in addition, they’re really light, which is great for travelling and outdoor activities. It also does not absorb water (even though it is not waterproof) and wickers away moisture from sweat. The North Face and Patagonia produce great fleece products since they specifically focus on active outdoors clothing. Price range: $90-$280.

[ pagebreak ]

4) Running gloves may seem completely unnecessary but exercising outdoors in the midst of winter usually requires some kind of insulation for your fingers. Usually the typical winter gloves are too bulky for exercise while nice leather gloves are not suited for exercising. Running gloves are designed to insulate heat while evaporating sweat and any kind of moisture. In addition, on the outside shell of the glove is designed for wind resistance, which is important for outdoors exercise in cold weather. Most running specific brands carry running gloves, such as Saucony, Brooks, Asics, and Mizuno. Price range: $12-$50.

[ pagebreak ]

5) The essential motivator to any workouts – your playlist! Here are some suggestions: Remember the Name by Fort Minor, Crank it Up by David Guetta, Danza Kaduro by Don Omar, If We Ever Meet Again by Timbaland feat. Katy Perry, Promises feat. Nero Skrillex Remix, We Run the Night by Havana Brown feat. Pitbull.

Sin Than

Mt Holyoke

Hello!!I'm Phyu-Sin, co-EIC of Her Campus Mt. Holyoke. Come to me with any concerns, questions, or comments, and my doors will always be open to you.
Elizabeth is a sophmore at Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley, Massachusetts and is studying Politics and Journalism. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, she enjoys reading, dancing, running, dessert, and her summer job as a windsurfing instructor on Lake Michigan.