This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Fantasy is one of my favorite genres in books, movies, and TV. I love seeing the unique and inventive worlds in each new piece of media. Nothing is better than seeing how the creators bring these worlds to life. There are so many fantasy shows that are amazing, but on the other hand, some are just a miss. Here I’ve listed some of my favorite fantasy TV shows that are definitely worth the watch! 

Shadow and Bone

This show came out recently, and I honestly enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. It is a teen show, but isn’t as cheesy as some of the ones out there. It’s about an orphan Alina who actually has powers. Her life changes with this revelation, and with the war going on, she is now thrust into the center of it. 

Sweet Home

TW: mentions of suicide

This show grew on me as I watched it. More of a monster horror, this K-drama is about the world being totally overtaken by monsters… who were once humans. It focuses on people trapped inside an apartment building. The CGI monsters are honestly not the best, but I do give it props because each creature’s design is so unique. 

The Shannara Chronicles

This is another teen show more on the level of The Vampire Diaries or The 100 than anything, so if you enjoyed these shows I highly recommend you check this out. It’s about an elven princess who is integral in the destruction of the demon army who are threatening to escape the alternate world they are trapped in. 

The Witcher 

Okay, I know that everyone probably already knows about this show and has probably already watched it. However, this show is so good, and you don’t need any knowledge from the books or video games to get into it. The worldbuilding, special effects, and creatures are really cool, which only adds to the storytelling. With season two coming soon, now is the perfect time to check it out if you haven’t already.

The Dragon Prince 

I haven’t been able to stop thinking about this show since I finished it almost a year ago. The worldbuilding, writing, and overall design of the show is amazing. It takes place in a warring world, with one side being humans who don’t possess magic and the other side full of magical creatures, mainly elves and dragons. 

There are some shows like Stranger Things, Avatar the Last Airbender, and Game of Thrones that are also worth the watch but have been talked about to death. I hope you’ve found something new to check out. Happy watching!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.  

Michaela Phelan

Mt Holyoke '22

I am an International Relations major who just really likes to read, listen to music, and watch tv.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.