This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Personality tests are essentially a way for people to obsess about themselves and what they’re like, which is what makes them so fun. They’re not that scientifically accurate—I seriously do not recommend picking your significant other based on their alignment—but I love taking them anyway! Here are my thoughts on three different personality tests, with my result and a link to each test so you can take them for yourself!

Myers-Briggs Personality Test: https://www.16personalities.com/

My result: INFJ-A

Introversion: 87%

Intuition: 88%

Feeling: 51%

Judging: 55%

Assertive: 66%

I’ve taken this test several times over the years on the same site and my result usually wavers between INTJ and INFJ, although it seems my assertiveness increases every year (I was like 70% turbulent as a teenager, because I had some very angsty emo teenager years), as does my introversion. I guess when I’m 80, I’ll be 250% introverted or something.

MBTI is the sort of assessment that, at first glance, seems like it could be accurate. It has lots of statements that you can agree or disagree with on a scale of “highly agree” to “highly disagree,” so it’s got some level of detail. However if you’ve taken a psych class, you probably know such scales are highly subjective and up to the person taking it, not a standardized measure. The breakdown of your personality at the end of the quiz is pretty interesting though!

Big Five Personality Test: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/personality-quiz/

My result:

Openness to experience: 100 out of 100

Agreeableness: 54 out of 100

Conscientiousness: 54 out of 100

Negative emotionality: 46 out of 100

Extraversion: 13 out of 100

This one, called the Big Five, is something I’ve only heard of recently. There are claims all over the Internet about how it’s endorsed by psychologists. I haven’t looked into that enough to verify it, but it uses a similar sort of scale as MBTI, so naturally I’m skeptical. I do like how it maps out a shape! Mine looks like this:

In the link provided, you can also see how you compare to the national average, which is pretty cool.

Also, shoutout to my boyfriend, who scored 13 out of 100 for conscientiousness (hilariously low) compared to the national average of 75.

D&D Alignment Test: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd%2Fdnd%2F20001222b

My result: True Neutral

Fun fact: in the several months after the 2016 US presidential election, I kept getting Chaotic Neutral on this test, probably because I had no faith in the government whatsoever. (And I still don’t!)

The test is pretty amusing to take, largely because it’s based on the tabletop game Dungeons & Dragons, and that’s how you end up with questions about your willingness to poison your king for a large sum of money. (I said yes, but only if I thought I wouldn’t get caught.) Also, the various alignment chart memes it’s spawned are a delight.

While I don’t believe you should take any of these tests too seriously, they’re really interesting and let you consider your personality. It’s also fun to compare with your friends!

Image: X

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Caroline Mao

Mt Holyoke '22

She/her or they/them, class of 2022, Mount Holyoke prospective studio art and computer science major who enjoys reading and petting dogs.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.