This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

I don’t know about you, but getting halfway through this module has been a bit chaotic. One of the best ways to relax and unwind is to watch a movie and take a break from the homework now and then.

Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle amid a nighttime fireworks show
Pixabay

Personally, one of my favorite ways to escape is through the magic fantasy of Disney. The movies whisk you away to a majestic setting where anything is possible. But which ones are the best at achieving this level of escapism? Today I will be ranking my favorite Disney movies based on how fantastical they are and their ability to ease your mind for an hour or two from the stresses of everyday life. 

• Tangled 

• I definitely have a soft spot for this movie, especially because it came out at the peak of my childhood. Tangled is based on the classic tale Rapunzel. The animation was the first of its kind to utilize the 3D technique. The tale is beautifully crafted with adventures galore and a fierce, funny horse as well as a chill lizard friend. And who doesn’t love the idea of magic hair? To top it off, this story has amazing voice actors including Mandy Moore and Zachery Levi. 

• Atlantis: The Lost Empire

• This movie is highly underrated in my opinion. The story follows Milo, who believes in the lost city of Atlantis and deeply desires to discover this ancient civilization. This movie is a juxtaposition of the steampunk era of industrialization and the magic and innovation within Atlantis. The characters are lovable and the movie is a great escape. 

• Hercules

•  By far one of my favorite movies, Hercules is a twist on classic Greek mythology. The elements of ancient Grecian society combined with an amazing score elevate this movie above and beyond. Not to mention the iconic script and amazing one-liners by Hades himself. This movie has it all, from adventure and love to mythology. 

• Mulan

• What is more magical than Eddie Murphy as a magical dragon? Mulan is a powerful story of a female warrior defying gender norms. Funny and empowering, this animated film is among the greats. Also, the songs elevate the story to a whole new level. 

• Aladdin

• A genie, a magic carpet, and achieving what may seem impossible: the story of Aladdin never gets old, as its fantastical nature and elements of magic are backdropped with the inspiring narrative of the protagonist breaking social status and norms for the sake of love. It is a comfort movie for sure. Robin Williams definitely steals this movie as his comedic skills radiate throughout the whole movie. 

• Beauty and the Beast

• Dancing silverware, an enchanted castle, and a radiating dark academia vibe set the stage for Beauty and the Beast. The magic in this movie whisks you away to a fantastical world and resolves into a happily ever after for the entirety of the castle, as the magic turns into a loving, thriving community for all. It’s all so mysterious how an entire group of people are morphed into the landscape of this extravagant-turned-gothic castle. The music really pulls the whole movie together into a classic Disney film for all to enjoy. 

Do you agree? Although I’ve listed a couple of my favorites I feel as though you can’t go wrong with a classic Disney animated film since they all have a feeling of fantasy, which helps one to take a break from responsibilities. By watching films like these I feel like you return to a time when life was simple and easy, childhood. And what better way to escape homework than returning to childhood fantasies. 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.  

Amanda Thibodeau

Mt Holyoke '24

Intending to major in History and Education Just a girl who loves to listen to music and watch films
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.