This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

It’s only April, and I’ve already started planning what I want my dorm room to look like in the fall. I know I may be a bit early (ok, maybe a lot early), but I’m tired of being at home, and you can never be too prepared when it comes to designing your dream dorm room. Keep reading if you would like some tips for decorating your dorm. 

1. Tapestry 

woman sitting on bed
Photo by Sincerely Media from Unsplash

Dorm walls can be dull, but you can easily add some spice to your room with a cute tapestry. Websites like Amazon,  Society6, and RedBubble have a wide variety of unique tapestry designs that will surely make your dorm feel a little more your own.

2. Decorative Pillow

pink and white fluffy pillows on a white bed
Photo by Christina Deravedisian from Unsplash

You can never have too many pillows on your bed. Decorative pillows are a great way to make your bed feel more comfortable and homey, will also allowing you to showcase your unique style.

3. Fan

Having an AC in your dorm is not a given, especially if you live in an older building, so having a fan is essential to keeping you cool all week long. 

4. Bedding 

cozy bedroom interior
Photo by Tatiana Syrikova from Pexels

Cozy bedding makes sleeping more comfortable. Having nice bedding can also make you feel more at home while beautifying your dorm room.

5. Pillows 

white pillows and white bedding
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez from Unsplash

Regardless of what kind of sleeper you are, having a good pillow will improve your sleep quality and provide you with extra comfort while pulling all-nighters for a late-night study session. 

6. Rugs 

Urban Outfitters

Rugs prevent you from stepping onto the cold floors when getting out of bed while also adding a pop of color to your room.

7. String lights

Taili Samson
TaiLi Samson / Unsplash

String lights are a college staple that allows you to make your dorm room more aesthetically pleasing.

8. Speaker

Speakers are a great way to create a chill vibe in your room as you study or hang out with friends. Use your speaker wisely, though. You don’t want to disturb your neighbors.  

9. Mirror

woman smiling at reflection in mirror
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

Mirrors aren’t just a spot for getting ready and checking out your outfit in the morning. Mirrors can add dimension to your room by making your room feel bigger – which is super important if you live in a small space. 

10. Cute Hamper

Okay, so maybe doing laundry isn’t the most exciting task in the world, but having a cute laundry bag can make doing laundry a little bit better while also serving as dorm decor. 

11. Throw Blankets

Courtesy of Etsy

A fuzzy throw blanket is perfect for cozying up on your bed during a late-night study session while also adding the perfect final touches to your bed.

12. Felt Letter Board

Message board with funny motto and cup of coffee
Photo by Karolina Grabowska from Pexels

Having a felt letter board is a great way to add some personality to your dorm room. Felt letter boards come with over 100 letters and special charters that allow you to create your unique messages for everyone to see. 

13. Peel and Stick Wallpaper 

flat lay photography of wallpaper and brown paper packages with bowl of macarons
Icons8 Team, Unsplash

Can’t paint your walls? No problem! Peel and stick wallpapers allow you to temporarily cover your walls while causing little to no damage to the walls underneath. 

14. Desk Decor

pink mug on stacked books
Photo by Ella Jardim from Unsplash

Keep your desk organized and your school supplies out of sight with some cute desk organization containers. 

15. Headboard 

home-depot
The Home Depot

Add a comfy headboard to your dorm room to make your bed more comfortable. You can make the headboard, which allows you to save money and customize your headboard to your liking, or buy one. 

16. Plants 

Plants in fun pots on a shelf
Photo by Prudence Earl from Unsplash

Adding some greenery to your dorm room is a great way to make your dorm room feel cozier while also improving your health. Houseplants can be good for your health because they freshen up the air by releasing oxygen and eliminating harmful toxins such as carbon dioxide from the air. Don’t have a green thumb? Don’t worry, there are tons of houseplants that require little to no maintenance. 

17. Curtains 

window sun curtains plants apartment
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

Adding curtains to your dorm can provide you with more privacy, and curtains can help you sleep better if you buy light-blocking curtains. What to make your dorm feel brighter? Add some sheer curtains or curtains that are a bright color. 

18. Collage Kit

Her Campus Media

Decorate your dorm walls with a beautiful collage kit. You can make your collage kit by looking up photos on Pinterest and printing them out, or you can buy a premade collage kit from websites like Esty or Amazon. 

With that, I hope this list gave you some inspiration on how to design your dorm room during the fall. 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.  

Hi everyone my name is Sophia Erivbieta. I am a freshman at Mount Holyoke and I go by the she/her pronouns. I plan on majoring in philosophy and psychology.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.