Ditch the Backpack for a Fashionable Rucksack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Up until relatively recently, the “rucksack” almost always prompt thoughts of the outdoors, hiking, or backpacking; a rucksack was originally just a huge bag that one would carry on her back, with all items necessary for survival in it. However, this is no longer the most common look or use of the “rucksack.”

Fashion rucksacks, nowadays, seem to be all the rage on campus. Granted, there are still plenty of other stylish bags and backpacks that students use to carry books and laptops (necessary for survival) to class, but rucksacks seem to be a relatively more conscious and increasingly common fashion statement than a regular Jansport backpack (they’re still cool though).

I don’t know when the fashionable version of a rucksack first became a thing in the west, but I remember it being a pretty common style of bag when I was a little kid living in Asia. In fact, even in the West, it was my Korean and Chinese friends who rocked them in high school, before they were considered “cool.” They were so common to me, that I essentially stopped looking, until one day I realized that these rucksacks are in virtually all the mainstream stores: Urban Outfitters, Forever 21, Asos, Topshop, and even Longchamp has jumped on the bandwagon. There are now so many different variations; one can get it in suede, leather, canvas, and on it goes. Topshop even has a tasseled one! While I personally doubt the functionality and health implications (ie. no back support) of some of these designs (I’m sorry, O-Tasseled-One), I do give them credit for being versatile, creative, and pretty darn roomy.

Dr. Marten boots seem to be pretty go-to for comfort and style. Would it be too much to say that Mohos love Dr. Martens?

I think totes, leather satchels, and purses are awesome. However, there is something to be said about the utility of a double-strapped bag on your back. After all, it would keep your arms free. The campus has been so cold and icy lately that I definitely need help from my arms to keep my balance as I penguin-shuffle my way to classes.

Selena Lin

Mt Holyoke

Clothes, Makeup, and everything girly. These are the ingredients for the making of Selena, a Junior at Mount Holyoke College and the Style Blog Editor. She welcomes all questions, concerns, and suggestions.
Sin Than

Mt Holyoke

Hello!!I'm Phyu-Sin, co-EIC of Her Campus Mt. Holyoke. Come to me with any concerns, questions, or comments, and my doors will always be open to you.