Date Night Movies You Probably Didn’t Think Of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

College budgets can get tight after buying textbooks and furnishing your dorm room, and while you and your significant other may chose not to pay the ever-rising price of tickets to a theater, it doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the cinematic experience at home. Rent a movie or find one free online, and snuggle up! Check out these movies, from horror to romance, new to old, and decide what your next date movie will be!

Classic Romance 

Gone With The Wind
A historical love story set in the heat of the Civil War, Rhett and Scarlett carry on a turbulent but passionate relationship. Scarlett is a feisty, headstrong woman and Rhett is a handsome, persistent (and wealthy) man. Do I hear a MoHo/Amherst reference??

Roman Holiday
This comedic love story is both timeless and romantic. When a princess escapes her duties to spend a few days living as a commoner, she falls in love with a man she knows she can’t have. Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck star in this romantic comedy that will keep you laughing and leave you smiling.

Horror

Poltergeist
This Spielberg horror flick chronicles a little girl’s communication with evil ghosts, and the eventual takeover of her family. The use of real human skeletons along with creepy events and jump-out-of-your-seat terror makes this film the perfect movie for clinging to your date.

The Descent
What horror film isn’t complete without ‘humanoid’ creatures that try to kill you while spelunking in uncharted caves? The Descent is a film that’s both cling-to-your-pillow scary and leaves you guessing until the very end.

Comedy

Almost Famous
A comedy-drama starring Patrick Fugit and Kate Hudson chronicles the journey of a 15 year-old aspiring journalist who writes about rock and roll for The Rolling Stone. The film is both hilarious and telling of the dramas of rock and roll.

Classic Action Films

Star Wars

Okay, while the ideal date movie for some may not be Star Wars, the romance between Princess Leia and Han Solo is undeniably adorable and timeless. Choose this film if you and your date are sci-fi enthusiasts but still want a bit of romance within the movie.

The original James Bond films
You know the story: the suave, good looking secret agent kicks ass in fight scenes that seem to last for hours. There’s always some sort of love affair with a beautiful woman thrown into the mix, too. In the James Bond films, no matter which one you choose, you’re bound to find something everyone will like.

New Movies

Our Idiot Brother
If you and your date are looking for a new lighthearted comedy that is sentimental but not sappy, Our Idiot Brother is for you! Paul Rudd stars as Ned, a free spirited guy who is taken in by his three sisters. You and your date will be laughing about it long after the credits.

Incendies
Two grown children lose their mother, and her dying wish sends them on a journey to discover their brith mothers and their own pasts. This Quebec film won many awards including the nomination for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Film. This movie is for a couple who wants a deeper plot and a bit of action and drama.

Whether your date is a Star Wars geeky type, or a classic romanticist, these movies will be sure to make any date both romantic and fun without the steep price of a theater ticket! 

Elizabeth is a sophmore at Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley, Massachusetts and is studying Politics and Journalism. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, she enjoys reading, dancing, running, dessert, and her summer job as a windsurfing instructor on Lake Michigan.
A junior at Mount Holyoke College, Madeline is majoring in English with a minor in Art History. Currently she is serving as an editor for the MH News, as well as Social Chair for the class of 2012. Her interests include art, traveling, competitive sports, writing, reading, animals of all kinds, and spending as much time with her friends as possible. Her goals include publishing her fiction, and seeing and writing about as much of the world as possible.