This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

“Do you remember summer ’09?” I mean seriously, it was a time before many of us had any responsibility. I was in fourth grade at the start of 2009 and at my peak, if I do say so myself (I’m only half joking). But for real, it was the height of the Harry Potter craze, Avatar and the JJ Abrams’ Star Trek came out, Paul Blart: Mall Cop – the height of comedy – was released, Pixar’s Up debuted, and Disney’s The Princess and The Frog hit the theaters! Those were all in 2009, and that’s just movies! I could go on for hours listing many others along with music, books, and TV shows, but I only have so much time in a day. 

Movies image
Myke Simon

In short, let’s just say that I miss my childhood and it is not the same to re-watch/listen to something, because that feeling of falling in love with a franchize or band will never be the same as when you first experience it. 2009 isn’t the only year that I wish I could go back to. For example: 2008, when the Twilight movie first hit the scene; 2010, when the Percy Jackon movie was coming out and everyone was so excited (but then collectively upset when it was nothing like the book); 2011, when the final Harry Potter film was released; or 2012, when the first Hunger Games movie came out… literally everything that helped to define our generation. 

The Twilight Saga Edward and Bella
Summit Entertainment

I know I’m not the only one who feels this way, as my friends and I have been talking about shows we watched when we were younger and reminiscing on how good they were and how “they don’t make TV the way they used to.” The same goes for movies, books, and even songs. I feel like some old lady looking back on my youth even though it was little over ten years ago that all of this took place (some was even less than that) but it all feels like a lifetime ago. I guess I’ll just have to be okay with feeling old and having to re-watch and re-listen to old favorites instead of going back in time to relive it all. 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.    

Michaela Phelan

Mt Holyoke '22

I am an International Relations major who just really likes to read, listen to music, and watch tv.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.