Campus Celeb: Selena Lin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Name: Selena Lin   

Year: 2015

Hometown: Vancouver, Canada

Major: Probably Politics and Economics

Activities (other than dressing fabulously): Treasurer for class of 2015, Debate society- debater

This week’s Campus celebrity is a fashionista whose bold but elegant style offers a combination of timelessness and simplicity with a tint of funkiness.

Which people would you say have influenced your style?

What are some other influences to your style?
Audrey Hepburn, Katharine Hepburn, all the Hepburns… and bloggers and websites. I have nostalgia for the 50’s silhouette style. I also have done a lot of experimenting, lots of trial and error… lots of error… those were just horrible.

Do you have a favorite blog or website?

Uhm, yes. Lisa Freemont’s blog (http://lisafremontpages.blogspot.com/) and http://www.collegefashion.net/ are my favorites. I think they are really interesting and straightforward.

Do you have favorite colors you like to wear?

Hmm, not favorite colors. I just wear what looks good on me. Sadly, yellow does not. I have a hard time trying to find something to wear for convocation.

How about accessories?

I love post earrings, like 80’s geometric shapes. Necklaces I just don’t wear. If I do, they are mostly high on the neckline, or pearls. I wear one ring: my mother’s wedding ring. I think its Amethyst?

How do you plan what you wear?

This is what I do. I wake up in the morning, and the first thing I do is check the weather. Then I shower and visualize what I want to wear. If it doesn’t look good, I change it!

What is one word to describe your style?
Classic.

Where do you shop?

Thrift stores, Forever 21 (who doesn’t?!), consignment stores, target, and my mom’s closet!

What advice would you have for people who aren’t sure how to create their own style?

Get inspiration from blogs! Magazines are good too, but they are a bit too commercialized. Look at lots of pictures. Also, buy something you think you would never wear and try to find a way to wear it.  

Elizabeth is a sophmore at Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley, Massachusetts and is studying Politics and Journalism. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, she enjoys reading, dancing, running, dessert, and her summer job as a windsurfing instructor on Lake Michigan.