This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Now that it is officially fall and the weather is becoming colder, all I want to do is curl up under a blanket with a warm drink and a book. I am normally not someone who likes to read horror or thriller books, but recently I have found a lot of interesting-looking books to add to my TBR (to be read) pile. Here is my list of the top spooky books to read this season!

Amelia Kramer-Coffee Shop Glasses Book Latte
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus

Horrid by Katrina Leno

This contemporary horror novel explores themes of mental illness, rage, and grief twisted with spine-chilling elements of Stephen King and Agatha Christie. Jane moves to her mother’s childhood home in Maine but learns that the house is haunted by more than just the past.  

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs 

An abandoned orphanage waits to be discovered on a mysterious island. When Jacob discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children he learns that the children who lived there were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. And somehow, they may still be alive.

These Witches Don’t Burn by Isabel Sterling

What is more perfect for Halloween than witches in Salem? Hannah is just that, an elemental witch who finds evidence of dark magic appearing all over her hometown and is sure that it is the work of a deadly Blood Witch. With a little help from her ex-girlfriend and her new crush, Hannah must find out the truth and protect the people she loves. 

Not Even Bones by Rebecca Schaeffer 

This is a dark fantasy about a girl who sells magical body parts on the black market until she is betrayed and sold to the black market herself. Now, there is no line that she won’t cross to escape and make sure that no one can capture her again. 

One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus

The Breakfast Club meets Pretty Little Liars in this story of what happens when five strangers walk into detention and only four walk out alive. Everyone is suspect, and everyone has something to hide. 

They Wish they Were Us by Jessica Goodman

As a murder mystery set at an exclusive prep school, this book is perfect for fans of the show Elite. A murder from several years ago is not what it seems and the main character, Jill, vows to find out the truth, even if it means putting her friendships and her future in jeopardy. 

A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson

When Pippa Fitz-Amobi chooses a local closed case as the topic for her final year project, she starts to uncover secrets that someone in town wants to stay hidden. It turns out that the case might not be what everyone thinks it is, and if the real killer is still out there, they might be willing to do anything to keep the truth buried. 

All Eyes on Us by Kit Frick

Perfect for fans of Pretty Little Liars, this is a tense thriller about two teens who find their paths intertwined when an anonymous texter threatens to spill their secrets. Together, they must work together to unmask their stalker before this person destroys their lives. 

Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson

A shocking tale of murder and mystery, this book follows true-crime aficionado Stevie Bell, who has an ambitious plan to solve the cold case connected to her private school. But when death revisits the academy, Stevie finds herself in the middle of two interwoven mysteries. 

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

For lovers of true crime, this book follows a group of gifted teenagers who are recruited by the FBI to solve infamous cold cases. But when a new killer strikes and danger creeps closer, the teens find themselves caught in an unexpected game of cat and mouse where they must use their gifts to survive. 

The Collector by John Fowles

This thriller tells the story of a man who loves to collect butterflies and take photographs. But he is also obsessed with a stranger and believes that he can convince her to love him by kidnapping her. A very disturbing but good read that is sure to give you the chills!

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

A book for anyone looking for the fall vibes but without the gore and horror…  well, mostly. The Scorpio Races take place every November and riders attempt to control their flesh-eating water horses long enough to reach the finish line. The book also includes a delicious November snack recipe provided by the author at the end. Reading this book and making November Cakes has become a yearly tradition for me!

Vicious by V.E. Schwab

A thrilling adult fiction, this comic-book-style world of good and evil will make you question who the villain really is. One of my recent reads and new favorites!

person wearing grey socks standing on porch
Photo by Alex Geerts from Unsplash

All of these books are perfect for getting you into the fall mood and will give you a spooky season fright without having to leave your house!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.

Acadia Ferrero-Lampron is currently a sophmore at Mount Holyoke College, where she is majoring in International Relations. In her free time, she loves to read books, bake sweets, and try new sustainable products.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.