This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

For as long as I can remember, Rupaul’s Drag Race has been one of my favorite shows. In honor of the recent release of the promo for season 13 of the show, I wanted to highlight some of my favorite lip sync battles from the past twelve seasons of Rupaul’s Drag Race. Note: spoiler alerts ahead. 

1. Bebe Zahara Benet vs. Nina Flowers (Season 1)

In the final episode of season 1, Nina Flowers and Bebe Zahara Benet battle it out for the crown to Rupaul’s hit song “Covergirl.” I’m glad these queens were in the final two because you see both of their styles come out in this lip sync. You have Nina, who is a androgenous punk drag queen, and then you have Bebe, who brings elegance and a bit of goofiness to her form of drag. In the end, Bebe wins the lip sync and the title of America’s first Drag Superstar. 

2. Sahara Davenport vs. Morgan Mcmicheals (Season 2)

Sahara Davenport and Morgan Mcmicheals were put in the bottom two of the wedding dress challenge episode. They lip synced to Martha Wash’s “Carry On.” Morgan had proven in the previous episode that she was a fierce lip syncer, but she just couldn’t measure up to Sahara’s powerful emotions and ballet moves. 

3. Alexis Mateo vs. Shangela (Season 3)

In this episode, Shangela and Alexis Mateo are put in the bottom two and have to lip sync to “Even Angels” by Fantasia. Both of these queens are also wearing outfits made entirely of wigs. Alexis Mateo clearly won this lip sync for her beautiful dance movements and emotions. 

4. Dita Ritz vs. Latrice Royale (Season 4) 

In previous episodes, Dita had proven that she was a fierce lip syncer and dancer. However, she didn’t stand a chance against the larger-than-life diva Latrice Royale. Latrice gave soul and “took the judges to church” with this rendition of Gladys Knight’s “I Really Got to Use My Imagination.” 

5. Alyssa Edwards vs. Coco Montrese (Season 5) 

The best lip syncs are against bitter rivals. That is the case for Alyssa Edwards and Coco Montrese. Their competitive spirit really shined in this lip sync to Paula Abdul’s “Cold Hearted Snake.” 

6. Adore Delano vs. Trinity K. Bonet (Season 6) 

Paula Abdul songs can really bring out the best performances. Adore Delano and Trinity K. Bonet evoked sexyness and determination in this performance of Abdul’s “Vibeology.”

7. Kennedy Davenport vs. Katya (Season 7) 

In the Hello Kitty episode, Kennedy Davenport and Katya battle it out for a spot in the final four. Both brought great energy and splits to this rendition of “Roar” by Katy Perry, but in the end it was Kennendy who came out on top. 

8. Bob the Drag Queen vs. Derrick Barry (Season 8) 

Bob and Derrick gave such emotion to this lip sync of “You Make Me Feel” by Sylvester. However, Bob won because he brought more old school soul to the song. 

9. Sasha Velour vs. Shea Coulee (Season 9) 

The season nine finale put Sasha and Shea against each other and had them lip sync to Whitney Houston’s “So Emotional.” As soon as the rose petals fell from Sasha’s wig, we knew she was going to win. 

10. Monet X Change vs. Dusty Ray Bottoms (season 10) 

Monet and Dusty lip synced to Nicki Minaj’s “Pound the Alarm.” Both brought great energy and dance moves, but Monet came out on top due to her comedic movements. 

11. Vanessa Vanjie Mateo vs. Shuga Cain (Season 11) 

Vanjie and Shuga lip synced to Mary J. Blige’s “No More Drama.” There was so much caftan realness and emotion in this performance. In the end, Vanjie won for the dramatic emotion she added to it.

.

12. Heidi N Closet vs. Jackie Cox (season 12) 

In the makeover episode, Heidi and Jackie found themselves in the bottom two lip syncing to “Kill the Lights” by Alex Newell. Heidi gave us dancing diva realness while Jackie gave us a comedy gold. In the end, both got to stay in the competition. 

Hope you enjoy these videos! Don’t forget to watch the premiere of season 13 of Rupaul’s Drag Race on Janurary 1st, 2021!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.

Emma Goldin

Mt Holyoke '21

Hi guys! My name is Emma Goldin and I am from San Francisco, California. I am a psychology and education major at Mount Holyoke College! I am part of the class of 2021! My interests include writing, singing, reading, playing guitars, and hanging out with my friends and family.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.