Style > Beauty

Beauty Favorites from My Daily Makeup Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

This past summer, on a trip to New York City, I had the privilege of touring Conde Nast. They were kind enough to show me the Allure, Glamour, & Vogue beauty closet and I’m not going to lie, it changed my life. It was like walking into The Devil Wears Prada… a gigantic white room with multiple closet islands like the ones the Kardashians have! There were shelves, boxes, and bins filled with makeup, skincare, perfume, and hair products, all sectioned by brand. The very generous team at Allure handed me a bag and told me I could take as much as I wanted. I just about passed out! I went at it and came home with multiple heavy bags full of beauty products. I had always loved makeup and beauty, but it wasn’t until then that I realized the extent of my interest. The following are some of the products that have become my favorite everyday items for my natural, basic makeup routine. 

IMAGE Skincare PREVENTION+ daily hydrating moisturizer SPF 30+

I put this lightweight, hydrating moisturizer on each morning after brushing my teeth. The mineral-based moisturizer is really great for dull, dry, sensitive skin. It has long lasting hydration and antioxidants and is free of parabens. I find that it makes the perfect base for my makeup so that I look bright and glowy, even on my most tired mornings. 

Glossier Cloud Paint in Dusk

This gel-cream blush formula turns makeup into finger painting. Each shade is seamlessly buildable, allowing you to sport a sheer look or more pigmented look, depending on what you like. Unlike powder blushes that sit on top of your skin, Cloud Paint blends nicely, giving you a really healthy, bright, “flushed-from-within” glow. All of the shades are beautiful, but Dusk is my favorite. This soft nude-beige shade is great for us fair girls who find that pink and red shades can bring us into clown territory. Dusk adds some natural looking color to any no-makeup makeup look. All Cloud Paints are hypoallergenic, dermatologist-tested, paraben free, fragrance free, and cruelty free.

TOO FACED Better Than Sex Mascara

This is every beauty blogger’s favorite mascara. I didn’t try it until recently and now I understand the hype. This volumizing mascara coats, curls, and separates your lashes. It is not often that you find a mascara that lengthens and thickens without making a mess, causing you to look like a raccoon for a hot minute of your beauty routine. You only need 3 or 4 coats to achieve luscious, beautiful lashes, which makes this formula perfect for days when you’re running late!

YSL Touche Éclat Shimmer Stick in Light Rose

This highlighter provides a dewy radiance with easy application, and the best part is, it’s multipurpose. You can apply it above your cheekbones, down the bridge of your nose, and above your cupid’s bow like a typical highlight stick, or you can put it over your Cloud Paint as a glowy blush. It blends really easily and is great for on-the-go touch-ups. 

MAC Velvet Teddy with Glossier Lip Gloss 

Velvet Teddy is a creamy, nude lipstick with a matte finish. This best-selling color is perfect for your natural makeup look. I find matte lipsticks to be a little bit 2015; it’s all about gloss now, so I like to layer Glossier’s iconic clear gloss overtop. It’s not sticky or too thick, and it has vitamin E in it’s formula so it leaves your lips moisturized with a transparent, crystal finish.

PHLUR S.C. 59 Body Wash & Lotion

Described by PHLUR as “Radiant and refreshing, aquatic and bright. Inspired by the bold and daring surf clubs of the 1950s (hence the name), S.C. 59 pays homage to the dream of endless summers and chasing the perfect wave.” This beachy scent with notes of mint, lemon zest, orange flower and amber reminds me of my hometown on the east coast of Florida. PHLUR products are all responsibly sourced, hypoallergenic, cruelty-free, vegan, and packaged with recycled materials.

I highly recommend both the body wash and shower gel, but if you aren’t sold yet, check out PHLUR’s scent specific playlist on spotify so that you can really catch the vibe of this fragrance. https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0Sq71Ye3l3dVfxxpMRBqCT?si=aNQhcZNXSBWXvtjABRIU-w 

OUAI Wave Spray

This best selling paraben and sulfate free wave spray is made with rice protein rather than sea salt which makes it safe for color-treated or keratin-treated hair. It helps give hair texture and body, and it’s perfect for all hair types from curly to straight to wavy to coily. On days where I am not straightening or curling my hair, this wave spray is my go-to because it helps me achieve natural, beachy looking waves while eliminating frizz. Plus, it has a beautiful scent of bergamot, Italian lemon, rose de mai, violet, and white musk.

Glossier You eau de parfum

I’m going to keep this short and sweet… this is my favorite fragrance of all time! It is hard to pin down because as described on the website, shoppers should “be advised that the formula comes incomplete; YOU are the first ingredient.” It’s comfy, warm, and clean. Try it and chances are you’ll get hooked!

XOXO,

Adele 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com

Adele Cardani

Mt Holyoke '22

Hi, I'm Adele! Fashionista. Coffee shop connoisseur. Glossier fanatic. Diet Coke addict. VSCO photographer. Spotify playlist maker. Amateur gluten-free baker. Aspiring world traveler. Instagram @adelecardani
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.