The Chicago native made his television debut alongside Kanye West and Sia on SNL’s 40th Anniversary special. Represented by legendary hip-hop agent Cara Lewis (Kanye West, The Roots, Eminem), Vic is slated to perform at this year’s Coachella.
Named an “Emerging Pick of the Week” by Billboard Magazine with damn good reason.
10 Interesting Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Vic:
1. His eldest sister (Elizabeth Mensah) is a professional ballerina! She trained at the Joffrey Ballet in New York and Chicago, respectively.
2. Contrary to hip-hop (and especially Chicago) stereotypes, Vic grew up in Hyde Park, an academic community encapsulating the University of Chicago campus. Vic’s father, Edward Mensah, holds an economics postdoctorate from the University of Chicago and currently teaches at UIC (University of Illinois, Chicago.)
3. Like some of hip-hop’s biggest names (Common, Kanye, Chief Keef/Drill Movement homeboys), Vic was born in Chicago to a Ghanaian father and Caucasian mother.
4. His younger sister (Stella Mensah- Brown ’17) recently collaborated with Providence-based producer DAP on “Blue”, a track available for download on Soundcloud.
5. Vic’s not your stereotypical high school dropout-turned rockstar/celebrity/multi-millionaire. The product of an academic household, Mensah graduated from Chicago magnet public Whitney Young High, alma mater of Michelle Obama and others.
6. Born Victor Kwesi Mensah, Vic dropped the “h” in his surname because he “thought it looked cool.”
7. Chance the Rapper admittedly envies Vic’s success (and vice versa.)
Taken from “Acid Rain” by Chance the Rapper.
7. Vic worked at Zaleski & Horvath, a specialty sandwich shop in Hyde Park. He was terminated for attending a college fair instead of his work shift.
8. Rumor has it he truly freestyled at the XXL Freshman 2014 Cypher. You decide….
9. Billboard likened his braggadocio to our beloved Aubrey.
10. He toured with J. Cole! We think they look a bit alike.