This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Name: Anna Kane

Pronouns: She/her

Major: Psychology

Hometown: Wilson, New York

How did you decide to come to Mount Holyoke?

My aunt graduated from Smith and was familiar with the Five-College Consortium. I wanted to be close to home so she brought Mount Holyoke up when I was creating a list of colleges to look at. My mom used to work in college admissions and since she went to a woman’s college too, she really encouraged me to look into it.

What about Mount Holyoke stood out to you amongst other colleges that you applied to?

The many traditions and superstitions, and the Five-College Consortium.

What is your favourite tradition?  

I really like Milk & Cookies but my all-time favourite has to be Mountain Day. The view from the top of the mountain is really pretty and it’s definitely worth the climb!

What is your favourite class this semester?

I’m taking this class at Amherst College called End Of Authority. It’s taught by Ray Suarez, who is a reporter for Al-Jazeera and PBS. The class focuses a lot on journalism and post-truth politics in America.

What are some activities that you’re involved in on campus?

I’m currently a student representative for the Be-Well Steering committee, which is a new initiative that promotes healthy living on campus in terms of a healthy mind, body, life, and community. We work to fight stress culture on campus and try to promote a sense of well-being and community.  I’m also currently in the process of getting my own show at WMHC with my friend Melissa. I am a member of College Democrats, Planned Parenthood, and I also write for the current events section of the Mount Holyoke News.

Do you have any hobbies?

A ton! I like writing, scrolling through Pinterest for inspirational quotes and outfit ideas, taking walks at night, listening to music and making playlists, watching Trevor Noah, and looking at pictures of Drake on Instagram.

What is something that you’re excited for the next semester?

I’m excited for Pangy Day and taking my Racism and Inequality in Schools class.  

What is a piece of advice that you would give to first-year students?

Take advantage of your liberal arts education. Take classes that sound interesting to you because you never know what you’ll end up majoring in. I started off planning to major in International Relations but ended up switching to Psychology. Also, connect with your professors; go to office hours and interact with them in and out of class.

What do you plan on doing after graduation?

I really want to live in Boston and work at the Boston Children’s Museum as a researcher to help come up with “developmentally appropriate” exhibit ideas. I want to work with child development and psychology.

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Sophomore at Mount Holyoke College, majoring in Psychology. Originally from Karachi, Pakistan.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.