This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Name: Abena Bosompem ’18

Major: Biology/ Sociology

Hometown: Akyem Swedru, Ghana

What attracted you to your major?

For biology, I get to learn more about cells, molecules, and DNA. Specifically, when I took plant biology with Amy Frary, I got to learn about plant origin, various trees and their colors, why we see their colors, and what those colors mean. That is what encouraged me to continue biology. For sociology, it was mandatory for pre-med. But when I was finished with the course, I fell in love with it because it was very different than the other classes I was taking. Because I am from Ghana, I don’t often deal with racism, so being in sociology, it was interesting learning about how people perceive racism. But not just racism, but also classism and other “isms”. But racism really stuck with me.

What is one thing people do not know about the Ghanaian Culture?

I am from the Akan tribe. But specific to my ethnic group, when a child is born there is a naming ceremony. They make the baby taste water and then alcohol. They do this so that the baby learns what is good and what is bad. Water represents goodness and purity, while alcohol represents the bad things and evil. When I was little, I didn’t taste the alcohol, but my mother made me taste Coca-Cola. She said when babies taste those bitter drinks, they understand the difference between good and bad.  

What is your favorite cultural dish and why?

My favorite dish is Waakye with stew and fried fish. Waakye is rice and beans and the stew is made from  fresh tomatoes, onion, peppers, and other ingredients. It taste amazing!    

What is your favorite quote and why?

“ I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”

Philippians 4:13

As human we go through times where we feel that we are broken, and we can’t do anything about it. I personally believe that when I am in those situations, it is not by my might or power, I can do anything with God beside me. I just put the situation in His hands.  Last week I was in a tough situation and I prayed about it. God told me to tell the truth and when I did, I felt a burden lifted off me.  

Why MHC?

Initially, I did not want to apply here. My friends always told me I would end up in an all girls school. One of my high school teachers went here. I was already applying to two other all women colleges and I did not want to apply to another. When I applied to MHC, the deadline was very close, but my counselor helped me. When I got accepted, it was the school that gave me the most aid. It was hard at first but I got use to it. Coming here was the best decision I made because I met incredible people who have helped me in my personal and academic journey. Also being a Christian, coming here has helped me strengthen my faith because I feel comfortable talking about God and expressing that I am a Christian.    

What is your favorite class this semester?

My sociology class! Its called Race in America by Patricia Banks!

Who is your biggest inspiration?

My mother! I don’t look up to anyone else. She is very friendly and speaks the truth. I really like that personality trait because it better to tell the truth than hide it. She is also very religious. She has helped me stay grounded to my religion because everytime she calls me, we always pray together. She is always helping me be a better person.

When you have a bad day, what keeps you going?

I always pray to God and leave it to Him. I try to forget about the issue by watching t.v or sleeping. It helps me move on from the negativity.

What are your future goals?

I am planning on going to medical school or doing research in sociology or biology. I am still unsure, I still need to make some decisions. I want to build a hospital and improve women’s health care in Ghana. I also want to educate young adolescents on STDs and diseases and how they could prevent it.

What song is on repeat right now and what is your favorite type of music?

Gospel!   “We Wait For You (Shekinah Glory)” by Jaye Thomas.

Source: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.