9 Ways for Seniors to Make the Best of Your Last Semester of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

It is the second semester of senior year and it’s crazy that my time at Mount Holyoke is about to come to an end. To put it all into perspective, the senior class just celebrated the fact that there are only 101 days to graduation on Thursday and it feels completely surreal how little time that is. If you’re a senior like me, hoping to make the most of your last 99 days or so of your time MoHome, here’s 9 ways you can make the best of your last semester of college that I will also be working on doing!  

1. Take classes you enjoy

As seniors, chances are that most of the courses you need for your major or distribution requirements are met and you have the freedom to take whatever you want. I know a lot of seniors who decide to take easy classes that they don’t even like simply to have an easy semester. That is one tactic and I am not passing any judgement on making that decision for yourself, but consider taking a class that you have always wanted to take but that always got pushed aside because of other commitments. As a senior you have top priority in registering for classes, so why not use that to your advantage to take something you’re passionate about or interested in? Depending on whether you decide to pursue another degree or not, this could be your very last opportunity to take an enriching and engaging class!

2. Spend time making memories with friends

It’s really important to make time for friends but it can be difficult as a second semester senior with all the competing demands of classes, work, finding a job, or applying to grad school. However, remember that this may be the last time you’ll have the chance to see your college friends for a while as several of them may move to different states or back to their home countries; as busy as you are it is important to make time for friends at all costs. Simply spending time together and making memories together is enough to make this last semester special, and why not find ways of incorporating your social life into the responsibilities you have as well? Hang out with friends applying for jobs together or giving each other interviewing tips, while just being in each others’ company.

3. Take more risks and put yourself out there more

It’s easy to get comfortable after almost 4 years of being at MHC, but this last semester, try to find ways to challenge yourself and push yourself to continue to grow. Take on a new project, work on perfecting a skill, try something new you never thought you would try. Often the things I remember most or value are times when I’ve pushed myself beyond my comfort zones, and have come away feeling invigorated, challenged, and rewarded.

4. Have good food

If you haven’t had the chance to explore the Pioneer Valley much, a good way to do so is try new restaurants in Amherst or Northampton that you’ve always been curious about trying but never made it to. Try making a conscious effort to try new restaurants and new cuisines to expand your palate. Doing this with friends makes it even more of a fun exploration as well as some good quality time spent together.

5. Savor everything you love about Mount Holyoke

What do you love doing at Mount Holyoke? Taking walks around the lake? Taking pictures of the changing seasons? Petting the horses at the barn? Make sure to do whatever it is you love to do here as much as you can. Doing things that you love and that make you happy are imperative to your continued success here, so take time to practice self-care among all the responsibilities you have.

6. Take more pictures

I am someone who doesn’t often like to take picture but I am trying to do more of that this semester to document moments I will cherish about my time at Mount Holyoke. Take the time to take pictures of and with your favorite people and places, so that years into the future you can look back at them and reminisce about your college experience. You can also show them to people who want to learn more about your past!

7. Follow through with your plans

With the rush and fast pace of things here it’s hard to follow through of tentative plans to see friends and other people that matter to you. It’s easy to pass someone in Blanch and talk about grabbing dinner later in the week, not following through, and doing the same thing the next time you bump into each other while getting food again. If you are really serious about wanting to see someone or have a meal together make sure to make time and solidify plans that you follow through on.

8. Learn more about your professors

It is easy not to learn much about your professors because it can be hard to get to know them on a more personal level and it can sometimes feel really awkward. However, part of the value of going to a small liberal arts college is being able to learn more about professors, and I have found that Mount Holyoke professors are especially open to building relationships with students. Make sure to take the time to learn more about your professors and develop a connection with them that will span past May 20th. It can also be especially enlightening to hear how they got to where they are now, which can be helpful in giving you some clarity or illuminating different paths that you could take or that are available to you after graduation.

9. Dance!

Finally, take the time to dance in your room, on a dance floor, in the shower (more carefully), or wherever you see fit! Life is too short to not dance to the music playing around you, so let loose whenever possible and show everyone your best moves (or just practice them in your mirror)!

I hope all you seniors out there have a wonderful 99 more days at MoHome! Feel free to share you thoughts on other ways to make the best of the last semester of college in the comments!

Image sources: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Deborah Fashole-Luke is a Mount Holyoke College graduate who majored is Psychology with a minor in English. She is pleased to have served as Her Campus Mt. Holyoke's former co-Campus Correspondent and co-President from 2015 to 2018. In her spare time Deborah enjoys reading, baking, playing football (soccer), listening to good music, and watching movies. She also loves spending time with family and friends!