This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

As the holidays approach, many people begin to get into the holiday spirit. Some people like to do this through spending time with family or exploring the beautiful outdoors. Others like to celebrate the holidays by watching movies. If you are looking for some recommendations, here are 8 movies that are perfect to watch this holiday season.

1. Knives Out (2019) – Knives Out is a mystery film that takes place during Thanksgiving, making it the perfect movie to kick off the holiday season. When Harlan Thrombey, a crime novelist, is found dead at his estate just after his 85th birthday, it’s up to Detective Benoit Blanc to investigate. Blanc must sort through many red herrings and lies to reveal the true cause of Harlan’s death. 
  1. The Knight Before Christmas (2019) – The Knight Before Christmas tells the story of a medieval knight who is transported to the present day where he falls in love with a high school teacher who has lost her hope for love. If you are a fan of Hallmark movies, you will definitely enjoy this film. 
  1. Last Christmas (2019) – Kate is a young woman who works as an elf in a year-round Christmas store. When she meets Tom, her life takes a new turn. For Kate, her new holiday romance seems too good to be true. This rom-com ends with a surprising twist, making it a unique film for the holidays.
  1. Noelle (2019) – When Santa retires, his son Nick must take over the Christmas operations. Nick, under pressure, flees the North Pole just before Christmas. It is up to Santa’s daughter, Noelle, to find her brother and save Christmas. Although a children’s movie, Noelle is able to spread Christmas cheer to people of all ages.
  1. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) – Because this film spans from Halloween to Christmas, it is a great movie to watch throughout the entire season. The Nightmare Before Christmas follows the journey of Jack Skellington, the king of Halloweentown, after he gets tired of his annual Halloween routine. When Jack discovers Christmastown, his grand ideas, combined with his desire for something new, cause everything to go awry. 
  1. Godmothered (2020) – When Eleanor Fay Bloomingbottom, the last young fairy, learns that the fairy godmother school is to be shut down, she attempts to restore the faith of fairy godmothers through the one woman who never got her holiday wish fulfilled. The film takes place in Boston, Massachusetts and puts a new spin on traditional holiday films. 
  1. Happiest Season (2020) – In this romantic comedy, secrets are revealed as one family tries to hold up their notable reputation. When Abby wants to propose to her girlfriend Harper, Abby learns that Harper has not come out to her conservative parents. Torn by this, Abby and Harper try to stay true to themselves, all while trying to have a normal Christmas. This modern Christmas film is different from most romantic comedies, making it a good, modern addition to this list. 
  1. Carol (2015) – In 1950s New York, Therese Belivet develops feelings for Carol, an older woman. Their strong bond turns into love, which reaps complicated consequences. Carol also has amazing costumes and settings, and a beautifully composed soundtrack which definitely make this film worth watching. 

Movies are fun to watch at any time of the year, but there’s something that makes watching movies during the holidays a little bit more special. I hope that these recommendations help you find a great movie for the holiday season. 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.  

Grace Ryhlick

Mt Holyoke '25

Hi! I'm Grace, a third year art history student at Mount Holyoke College. Some of my favorite things are cats, tea, baking, photography, and visiting museums. I also love traveling, and I hope to explore more places soon!