7 of My Favourite Maya Angelou Quotes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

On the 4th of April the US celebrated the life of Maya Angelou, a legendary writer and icon who graced this world. Maya Angelou passed away on the 28th of May 2014, but the knowledge and results of her activism and artistic writing will live on for decades to come. She is such an inspirational woman and to celebrate her wisdom, grace, hope, and intellect, here are 7 of my favourite Maya Angelou quotes!

1. “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

2. “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.”

3. “We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”

4. “A Woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing. She goes where she will without pretense and arrives at her destination prepared to be herself and only herself ”

5. “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.”

6. “Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away.”

7. “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.”

Image Sources: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Deborah Fashole-Luke is a Mount Holyoke College graduate who majored is Psychology with a minor in English. She is pleased to have served as Her Campus Mt. Holyoke's former co-Campus Correspondent and co-President from 2015 to 2018. In her spare time Deborah enjoys reading, baking, playing football (soccer), listening to good music, and watching movies. She also loves spending time with family and friends!