This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Spooky season may have just ended, but it’s still the perfect time to grab some popcorn, a group of friends (socially distanced of course), and be prepared to scream your head off at some of the scariest and funny Halloween movies of all time. Whether you are looking for a film to watch with the whole family, nightmare-inducing thrillers, real-life hauntings, or slasher films, this list has you covered. Keep reading if you want to find out which movies you should watch to keep the spooky season alive.

turned on LED movie projector
Photo by Alex Litvin from Unsplash

Get Out (2017)

Get Out was written and directed by Jordan Peele. This movie tells the story of a Black photographer’s visit to his White girlfriend’s family home that takes an unexpected turn. Surrounded by racism, this family dynamic gets eerier and eerier as the movie progresses until the horrible truth is discovered.

The Conjuring (2013)

The Conjuring was written by Carey W. and Chad Hayes and directed by Jame Wan. This movie tells the story of the true life hauntings experienced by the Perron family when they move into what was supposed to be their dream home. 

Scream (1996)

This is a classic horror slasher film that has both a funny and scary twist. Scream was written by Kevin Williamson and directed by Wes Craven. This movie tells the story of a masked maniac armed with a knife who stalks high school students. 

Ghostbusters (1984)

Who are you gonna call? Ghostbusters! This is another classic but family-friendly Halloween film. Ghostbusters was written by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis and directed by Ivan Reitman. This movie tells the story of three former parapsychology professors who create a special service for catching ghosts. Be warned: if you watch this movie, you may not be able to get the catchy jingle out of your head. 

Esther Kang

Carrie (1976)

If you’re not terrified of high school prom, then clearly you haven’t seen Carrie yet. This movie is another classic. Carrie is an adaptation to Stephen King’s horror novel that tells the story of a teen named Carrie who is ridiculed by her classmates and experiences abuse from her extremely religious mother at home. Things take a very dark and violent turn when Carrie is invited to the prom and the unimaginable happens. 

Child’s Play (1988)

Who would have thought that a seemingly harmless children’s toy would turn out to be a doll possessed by a serial killer? This is one of many classic horror films with the infamous Chucky character who will leave you scared of children’s toys after watching this movie. 

Casper (1995)

This is another classic family Halloween movie. Casper is more on the heartwarming side than scary. This movie tells the story of a young girl’s friendship with Casper, the friendly ghost. 

Hope this list gave you some inspiration on what movies you should watch to keep the spooky season alive. 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.    

Hi everyone my name is Sophia Erivbieta. I am a freshman at Mount Holyoke and I go by the she/her pronouns. I plan on majoring in philosophy and psychology.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.